Vintage Snowmobile guru's - Where can I get one of these?

rmm727

I have an older Moto Ski snowmobile. Think its a Zephyr 400. The pull start chord is braided steel line and it finally broke. I was able to separate the wedge part the holds the chord in the handle but I need to find something I can crimp on to the chord to hold it inside the recoil housing. Any ideas? I thought about a larger fishing sinker but didn't know if that would hold. Also though about buying regular rope for it but I always sort of liked that this was made of steel.

Hi rmm727 : I checked out a catalog that did list steel cables for Hearth JLO Sachs and Polaris all were 1/8 inch in diameter and all different lengths from 75 to 106 inch . Give Growth Products inc. RV and Marine in Cristal Mi My last number is 989 235-4294
Hope that helps.
Steve :scooter:

rmm727

Rockwell/JLO Fan Cooled 2 cylinder 2 stroke

Love the sound of it. Just screams for something that is old as it is. I know it isn't anywhere close to what a new machine would do but it was free and I've had fun with it for the past 6 years.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Last edited:

rmm727

Thanks for the link. I would buy that but I'm not paying him $16 for him to ship it in a $2 envelope for $3.

Can you elaborate on JLO/Cuyuna recoil?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Pay no mind to that shipping quote, that is international to Canada.

use the auction # in your e-bay.

JLO / Rockwell / Cuyuna is more often found in Scorpion Snowmobiles.

You would need the four mounting tabs, recoil dog bell and the Recoil.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
If you want to put more power into your sled ! it would not be that hard...

The 399 JLO is 65 piston bore. Stroke is 60. Giving you 28hp at 6000rpm.

JLO only has 4 ports per cyl. Intake, exhaust, and X's 2 fuel/air.

340 & 399 JLO are the only 2 with the same stroke & timeing. So parts can interchange.

JLO/Cuyuna, 399 is 65 piston bore. Stroke is 60. Giving you 38hp at 6500rpm. JLO/Cuyuna has 6 ports per cyl ! giving you more out of the engine.

The 295, 340 , 399 & 440 all use the same 60 stroke and timeing ! !

Making all the engine types interchangable ! inclueding your 399 JLO. Surprise :scared:

Confused yet? :blink:

JLO/Cuyuna;
295 = 29hp at 6500rpm

So the 295cc Cuyuna has more power than a 399 JLO ! WoW Right !

340 = 32hp at 6500rpm

399 = 38hp at 6500rpm

440 = 40hp at 6500rpm JLO 440 only has 26hp Which is less than a 295cc Cuyuna !

So What am I saying? You can put any Cuyuna top end on your JLO and bump up the power.

All you need is Cuyuna top end gaskets, cylinders, heads and the Cuyuna pistons.

Due to the extra ports, the ring gap is in a different spot on the Cuyuna pistons Vs.'s the JLO's.

So with a quick easy slight mod you could doubble your horse power !

It takes a 760cc 2cyl, JLO to surpass a 440cc Cuyuna by only 5hp ! ! !

I loved the Cuyuna / JLO engines for the reason of interchangable parts .

You can spot a Cuyuna over a JLO just by looking at the side of the cyl wall on the clutch side. You can see the frost plug covering that extra fuel/air port.

I also like the early Kawasaki engines for their interchangable parts.

But that is another story.........:eek:

Besides, your Moto is not big enough to shove this in it, :laugh:

Last edited:

rmm727

Glad I started this thread. That is some good info. So mine has 28hp. I think it runs good enough. Couldn't imagine what it would be like with 10 more horse. Thank you for posting all of this. I got 2 other sled motors but they have Rotax's in them. Ones a 340 Bombardier and the others a 390? Slightly newer than my Moto Ski. Maybe late 70's. Got any info on them? HP figures?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Rotax 343 & the 402 share the same stroke 61mm.

But with Rotax, so do 13 other engine sizes !

Not all will share the same crank, Ignition, timing or set up.
Also, not all will share the same piston or features.

They range from F/A free air, L/C liquid cooled too F/C fan cooled.

The 343 Fan cooled could have a HD Tilly OR a Mikuni depending on model of sled. An around 28hp at 6500rpm

The 402 Fan cooled shows Mikuni only. An around 28hp at 6000rpm

So the 402 should be faster than the 343 but, it's not bigger.

Rotax gives very little info toward HP or carb sizes.

I'm not a Fan of Rotax due to the LH / left hand & RH / right hand pistons and cyls.

Making them a very specific engine and not very friendly to interchanging parts.

rmm727

Yep, the 343 has a Tilly, and the 402 has a Mikuni. So all my sled motors are about 28hp. That's fine by me. I only have the engine, clutch, chain case out of the 402. It was road ridden and rusted out pretty bad. It does run. The 343 is together but it doesn't have spark. The 402 is goin on a racing kart frame. I might get the 343 to run one of these days but its not a priority. I imagine it might steer better than the Zephyr I currently run so that would be alright. The Zephyr has no scags on the skis and turns like a POS. But I guess that adds to the fun of it. I'm gonna upload a video to YouTube later.