Wards buffalo/t777 clutch drive setup...

So i bought an old wards buffalo "mini" bike... as most of you know, they're actually pretty far from mini, but that's mostly why i bought it. She has outgrown her baja 5.5 so that was passed down to her little sister and she needed something bigger. Once i got it home though and took a look at it a couple questions come to mind. First, it's got a honda 8hp motor in it, which obviously isn't stock. That doesn't bother me, but the question is concerning the drive train... this one has no primary or anything, just a clutch straight off the motor with the chain running straight to the rear sprocket. Is this normal? i don't know a hell of alot about these things, but it seems that most every mini bike i can remember seeing has some sort of primary or torque converter setup of some sort.

Second, the brakes on this thing are crap, it's some sort of band brake setup, would you guys advise replacing this with some other kind of setup... drum/disc? and if so, how? is there a kit? or just replacing what's there? these may not be bad brake setups, i don't know, this is the first one i've ever used, but this particular one is crap. It was dark when i got home with it last night, and i'm at work now so i don't have any pictures to illustrate what i'm talking about, but thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I really appreciate it.

it's more common for a bike to have a clutch setup like that than a torque-averter or jackshaft setup.

pics would really help with your brake question. you'll also get more responses on that if you ask in the general section.