Was this Insensitive?

toomanytoys

I was talking to my mom this morning, and yesterday one relative or others son was killed in a car crash. Apparently he was attempting to pass a car on a blind curve, in a no passing zone, and drilled another car head on.

He was killed on impact, and sent a family of 4 to the ER with serious injuries. a 10 year old a 4 year old and the parents.

My first question was how are the people he hit? And my mom was like your cousin is dead and you are worried about who he hit?

My response was he got what he got for being stupid. If he would of hit my family, he'd be glad to be dead because when the car stopped moving I would of been out of my car and dragging him out.

There is a difference between "accident" and "stupid"

I was talking to my mom this morning, and yesterday one relative or others son was killed in a car crash. Apparently he was attempting to pass a car on a blind curve, in a no passing zone, and drilled another car head on.

He was killed on impact, and sent a family of 4 to the ER with serious injuries. a 10 year old a 4 year old and the parents.

My first question was how are the people he hit? And my mom was like your cousin is dead and you are worried about who he hit?

My response was he got what he got for being stupid. If he would of hit my family, he'd be glad to be dead because when the car stopped moving I would of been out of my car and dragging him out.

There is a difference between "accident" and "stupid"
I agree with you all the way.

45t

I don't think he deserves to be dead, but instead of living with a hasty mistake, he died because of it. He paid the ultimate punishment for a bad decision.

I see people everyday cutting corners and making hasty decisions for such short gains and not thinking how their actions affect or create dangerous situations for others. Most of the time people can get away with it and be on their selfish way. For your cousin, well it didn't work out for him this time.

bandit 40

I don't think he deserves to be dead, but instead of living with a hasty mistake, he died because of it. He paid the ultimate punishment for a bad decision.

I see people everyday cutting corners and making hasty decisions for such short gains and not thinking how their actions affect or create dangerous situations for others. Most of the time people can get away with it and be on their selfish way. For your cousin, well it didn't work out for him this time.
I agree with you 45 he like many others make bad decisions every day. Unfortunately he will never get a chance to learn from his mistake :shrug:. I wouldn't say he deserved to die.

Loss öf Life is sad in any circumstance. Sadder still when its due to an accident or negligence. Agree it was your cousins fault, but sometimes opinions are better kept quiet when it's so close to home.

Suck it up, go give mom a hug and say sorry it'll keep the peace

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Loss öf Life is sad in any circumstance. Sadder still when its due to an accident or negligence. Agree it was your cousins fault, but sometimes opinions are better kept quiet when it's so close to home.

Suck it up, go give mom hug and say sorry it'll keep the peace
I agree. I already told her I was being rude.

But I am one to spit out what I am thinking rather than keep my mouth shut.

He didn't deserve to die, but I know where this happened at, and he had no business passing anyone on that road. It would of been more tragic if it would of caused one of those child's lives to be changed forever with loss of a parent or a permanent disability to themselves or their parents.

It comes down to something I seen on TV a long time ago when I was a kid. It was an old rescue 911 show. A teenage girl was on her way to a march of dimes event where she had collected money and volunteered a lot of time to do. She was driving there, and was hit head on by a drunk driver and killed. I swear that moment of watching that TV show changed my opinion of the world even at 10 or whatever years old.

You can do all the stupid stuff you want, but don't impact other peoples lives with your stupidity.

I appreciate your thoughts of others knowing your relative is beyond saving, so makes sense to me to express concerns. Dealing with family is always best left to family. So I will leave it there.

I took a minute to think about it then came back. If I were your cousin I'm in a better place. I'd have to live the rest of my life, probably in a less than normal condition, knowing I wiped out somebody else's family and kids.

Just reread the original post. Ok nobody died in the other car. I could live with myself sort of. I looked at it like he killed some innocent people.

It's still messed up for everybody involved. Hopefully some good will come out it somehow.

Last edited:
so having little to no self control is one of your better self proclaimed
attributes???

first; there is no one else but your mom who will stand behind you
regardless of your mistakes and transgressions. believe me, you will
make mistakes as you grow up. your mom lost a nephew, shut your
pie hole and do and think of nothing else but that will sooth her.
respect her and her thoughts and opinions.

second; i take it by your 'spit it out' declaration you are an
adolescent. a piece of advice little one, learn with your ears
and not your mouth. this advice will serve you well as you grow
up. the 'spit it out' mentality will keep you in the "league of
extraordinarily unemployable gentlemen".

in closing, respect your mom.

:thumbsup:

I agree. I already told her I was being rude.

But I am one to spit out what I am thinking rather than keep my mouth shut.

He didn't deserve to die, but I know where this happened at, and he had no business passing anyone on that road. It would of been more tragic if it would of caused one of those child's lives to be changed forever with loss of a parent or a permanent disability to themselves or their parents.

It comes down to something I seen on TV a long time ago when I was a kid. It was an old rescue 911 show. A teenage girl was on her way to a march of dimes event where she had collected money and volunteered a lot of time to do. She was driving there, and was hit head on by a drunk driver and killed. I swear that moment of watching that TV show changed my opinion of the world even at 10 or whatever years old.

You can do all the stupid stuff you want, but don't impact other peoples lives with your stupidity.

WrenchDad

IMHO Insensitive ...No You showed concern for the people involved. Inappropriate at the time .. Yes.. My Grandfather used to say "Honor the living the dead wont notice". It seems crude but it has some truth to it.

sorry to hear about the accident.

There are no words to really say that are wrong as long as you say what you mean without malice.

Bad things happen.
We look for bright spots when it does...

buckeye

To answer your question, do you want my selfish 24 year old answer or my much more laid back and family centered 56 year old answer?

Mom is much more important than anything else in this picture. She has strong feelings and has earned your respect.
Can't take back what you said, so, I would do my best to respect her as well as the deceased direct family. Doesn't matter he made a terrible decision.

Well put Tom , words can be very powerful right or wrong , There will be a day when you will have no Mother , honor her and cherish her while you can and pray for all involved !

KB2ROCKET

how are the other people is a perfectly fair question that can be asked the only problem with asking it is that it appears that you care more about them than your own family. I would ask the same question but not right away

IJG

Accident'

My Condolences on you're cousin man.
I agree with Buckeye.
But My 2 Cent's is highly hypocritical only Because I'm Bitter
Just remember more often that When you talk or text or show physical signs of discontent, it can seriously affect others emotionally & most likely not be appreciated.
LOL, Dammit I should of been a psychologist. :doah:
living off disability checks barely keeps me afloat.:frown: