Weather/ storms

We don't get much snow around here, so winter storms are usually wind and rain events.
Today, schools are closing 3 hours early. We are forecast to get 30 MPH winds and torrential rain this afternoon.
Being in the "coastal plains" we are downhill from most of the state, so will have flooding around the rivers and creeks for a week after a storm like this. All that water in the mountains has to go right past us to get back to the ocean. I have sump pumps set up to pump water away from the house and we hope it will drain into the creek.
What kind of fun weather are you expecting?
Oh, and NO MINI BIKES this week. A tractor will probably be the RV of choice for me.

Augiedoggie

Looks like a slushy frozen mess for awhile and changeover to torrential rain and heavy,damaging wind here in Eastern PA
Hopefully melt last weekends snow and wash the salt off our roads

We are in a snowbelt and got dumped on pretty good. More to come for the rest of the week. Also lows in the minus side, like -10, are being predicted.

Mr. Pink

Central Illinois, today at noon.
The outdoor Christmas decor didn't go up till second week of December.
I had been planning on leaving it up a couple more weeks.

1704825052846.png

I have seen a few limbs come crashing down this afternoon. I'm afraid the heavy rain will start around sundown. I hate sloshing around in the dark.

Rain and lotsa wind.

About 3 years ago, I'm working in the yard when this fellow with a hard hat and a clip board comes walking up the driveway with a big smile. He said they were coming through the neighborhood polling the homeowners on a proposed project to put all of the power lines underground, said it would be cost effective because we always lose power during storms. My power line went through the trees across my front yard and was always a worry, not to mention that the neighborhood loses power during storms several times a year. I tell him I'll gladly sign up and even help install if they want.

Most of the power outages are from limbs or trees coming down on the wires that run down the street by the marsh beside my house that feed all of the houses behind me. This takes out the fuses on the pole and we get our power back when they replace the fuses. (I have watched this a lot over the years)

He goes on to tell me that the neighbor behind me will get the transformer on his property and they will run under my back yard to the side of my house where the meter currently is so the only thing I will see is no more overhead line. Sounds like a win. Says they need to talk to the rest of the neighbors on my street and if everything goes to plan they will be back in 6 months or so to complete the project.

Six months later underground utilities marking contractor comes in and puts little orange and yellow flags all over my back yard. about a month after that I come home from work and they have dug a hole next to my hose, installed a transformer on the rear neighbor's property and are about to run the cable under my back yard. couple of hours later and it is all finished. So I sit back and bask in the glow of never having to loose power during a wind storm.

and I haven't until about 2 weeks ago when we had a fairly mild storm come through just about time it got dark outside, nothing serious but then we lose power. I go out to look around and all of the houses in across the street and the rest of the neighborhood have their lights on but mine and the houses behind me are all dark.

got out my super LED blind-ya flashlight and went to investigate.... trees (3 of them) down across the street leading by the marsh. lines are down in the road, the whole bit. Next day when they finally got the trees cut, the lines up and the fuse replaced, my lights came back on.

My power used to come directly off the pole in the corner of my yard, it is on the main line feeding the whole neighborhood so how can this happen?? I went out and walked the lines to see where they go and what these folks did was to run all of the power for my neighbor behind me and my house (I guess nobody else agreed to their plan) underground to a pole on the street next to the marsh then ran the lines up the street to the main pole so now when a limb goes on that line, we all lose power. At least I don't have a power cable going across my front yard any more.

Got all of my solar lights charged up, lots of snacks and waiting to see what the wind will bring this time.

I apologize for the windy reply :)

I have solar panels and a couple of small wind turbines charging a bank of 12 volt batteries under the work bench in the garage. With a couple of inverters, this system runs the welders, air compressor and metalworking equipment in the garage. It also supplies power to one or the small barns. If our power goes out, I have cables buried up to the house so we can plug in the freezer and both refrigerators.
Normally, the solar power goes through a charge controller and the turbines might spin a little bit, but they don't make any power. The turbines are unregulated. Normally, they only put out about 11.5 to 12.5 volts.
Today, with no sun and a steady 25 MPH wind, those two little unregulated turbines are making power. My batteries were over 14 volts about an hour ago, so I turned on all the lights in the garage just to protect the batteries. This is certainly a weird storm for us. We have only had very light rain so far.

Quite a bit of rain and wind so far.

They called off school today, and a two hour delay tomorrow. Due to so many roads in Georgetown county close to sea level.

Down in Georgetown near the bay during that last heavy deluge the other week they had flooding of 3 or 4 feet deep on some roads.

Doing good so far here.

Y'all stay safe.

Rain and lotsa wind.

About 3 years ago, I'm working in the yard when this fellow with a hard hat and a clip board comes walking up the driveway with a big smile. He said they were coming through the neighborhood polling the homeowners on a proposed project to put all of the power lines underground, said it would be cost effective because we always lose power during storms. My power line went through the trees across my front yard and was always a worry, not to mention that the neighborhood loses power during storms several times a year. I tell him I'll gladly sign up and even help install if they want.

Most of the power outages are from limbs or trees coming down on the wires that run down the street by the marsh beside my house that feed all of the houses behind me. This takes out the fuses on the pole and we get our power back when they replace the fuses. (I have watched this a lot over the years)

He goes on to tell me that the neighbor behind me will get the transformer on his property and they will run under my back yard to the side of my house where the meter currently is so the only thing I will see is no more overhead line. Sounds like a win. Says they need to talk to the rest of the neighbors on my street and if everything goes to plan they will be back in 6 months or so to complete the project.

Six months later underground utilities marking contractor comes in and puts little orange and yellow flags all over my back yard. about a month after that I come home from work and they have dug a hole next to my hose, installed a transformer on the rear neighbor's property and are about to run the cable under my back yard. couple of hours later and it is all finished. So I sit back and bask in the glow of never having to loose power during a wind storm.

and I haven't until about 2 weeks ago when we had a fairly mild storm come through just about time it got dark outside, nothing serious but then we lose power. I go out to look around and all of the houses in across the street and the rest of the neighborhood have their lights on but mine and the houses behind me are all dark.

got out my super LED blind-ya flashlight and went to investigate.... trees (3 of them) down across the street leading by the marsh. lines are down in the road, the whole bit. Next day when they finally got the trees cut, the lines up and the fuse replaced, my lights came back on.

My power used to come directly off the pole in the corner of my yard, it is on the main line feeding the whole neighborhood so how can this happen?? I went out and walked the lines to see where they go and what these folks did was to run all of the power for my neighbor behind me and my house (I guess nobody else agreed to their plan) underground to a pole on the street next to the marsh then ran the lines up the street to the main pole so now when a limb goes on that line, we all lose power. At least I don't have a power cable going across my front yard any more.

Got all of my solar lights charged up, lots of snacks and waiting to see what the wind will bring this time.

I apologize for the windy reply :)
I retired from our Power provider as a system operator so became quite familiar with outages. As a small outfit that also included hydro generation, we did dispatch on top of system monitoring. In less densely populated areas. the norm is to have 3 phase running down the main arterials and single phase taps coming off one of those phases to feed down streets or to more remote services. Usually, the single phase taps are fused and the 3 phase lines are on a recloser. The fuses are weaker so if a tree is on a tap the fuse will blow and the tap goes cold. The recloser is programmed. If a fault occurs on the 3phase the recloser will see the fault and go cold but it will after the programmed amount of time, try to reclose the circuit in hopes that the fault has cleared. It will do this twice. If on the third time, it still sees a fault it will open and neccesitate a crew to come out to patrol and or repair the line. They will then go to thestart of the line and reset the recloser. That is why sometimes the power goes off but comes back on after 5-10 secs and then either stays on or repeats until it is finally tripped open. In big outages from storms and such, the 3 phase is top priority and then single phase is last to get attention.

Just thought I'd get boring for a bit. Y'all come to the light now.