Welding with flux core

I need to weld 1/16 inch thick mild steel square tubing, the harbor freight welder i have has a high and low setting. the high is 125volts the low is 60 what combanation of wire thickness and voltage would help me create a slow weld? would a larger wire and a lower voltage and a slow feed rate help me with the thin material? im looking for any and all advice for working with thin materials.

I hope you mean 125 amps and 60 amps output. What are your choices for wire speed?

I would weld it with 60 amps and .023 wire. First you don't want a slow weld. You want a steady weld that sounds like frying bacon. When its right it sounds smooth and steady. If it sputters then you need more heat or less wire speed or more wire speed.

I have to state this again. Make test welds on scrap material exactly like what you need to weld. If you need to weld the 1/16'' steel tubing then practice and set up the welder on the same material. If you adjust travel speed, wire stick out, amperage and wire speed you will see a difference. All of these things affect weld quality. Try each one, one at a time to see what it does for you.

Doug

This might sound stupid but the Lincoln weld pac I used at work seems sensitive to the wall outlet it's used on. I had it on a 15amp circuit and it fought me. I used it another time in my garage on a 20 amp and it seemed much more powerful.
Here's what I'd do if it were me. Go through the machine or better yet have someone with experience do it with you. Check everything! Put in good wire, make sure the wire spool is rolling easily and not to tight. Make sure the roller groove is matched with the wire gauge,.030 wire with a .035 groove won't work well if at all. Clean the rollers is there grease or factory coating that needs to be cleaned off. Are you using the correct tip for that size wire. Make sure the electrical connections are all clean and tight. watch a video to see if your holding the gun the right distance away. a dirty contact point will reduce your welding power.Is the liner defective. If the machine isn't set up the best welder in the world won't be able to weld with it. The welder could be defective.
I was just going to suggest that. Try and get the welder as close to the breaker box as you can and have not much else on the circuit. I have a few 30 amp dedicated outlets in the garage that i use for the welder compressor and chop saw. Cant run them at the same time of course.
Fomogo Thanks for the suggestion on the wire cleaner lube. I definatly need that! I have a habbit of buying rusty wire at flea markets and garage sales. Then i get my family to help spool it onto another roll while 2 or 3 people are sanding it off in between. I also have a .023 roll im running through the .035 liner right now and it welds way nicer so I think im going to get .030 next time and thatll help it not jam up too. I always get binding even with new wire its so annoying.

Fomogo Thanks for the suggestion on the wire cleaner lube. I definatly need that! I have a habbit of buying rusty wire at flea markets and garage sales. Then i get my family to help spool it onto another roll while 2 or 3 people are sanding it off in between. I also have a .023 roll im running through the .035 liner right now and it welds way nicer so I think im going to get .030 next time and thatll help it not jam up too. I always get binding even with new wire its so annoying.
If you are running rusty crusty wire you need to replace the liner as it is contaminated and causing drag on the wire. A new liner will make a huge difference in weld quality. If you are having to re-spool the wire as you have 3 people clean it you need to throw it away..... Wire is cheap (when you consider the time trouble and aggravation dirty rusty wire causes) and good clean wire (and liners) makes good welds.

Airgas - HAR00SIBE5 - .030" ERCuSi-A Harris® Silicon Bronze Alloy MIG Welding Wire 10# 8" Spool

I have been using the wire cleaners and lubbers on every wire welder that I have since they were new. Never had an issue with the liners. I have worn out liners and had to replace them but never because they were dirty.

A new spool of good clean wire and a new liner will make your machine new again....

Doug

Last edited:
The tip and liner can cause issues if shot . One thing that helps keep wire nice is that vpi paper vapor phase interruptor stops rust . Lot of car parts are packed in it .

this is a very interesting thread. my welding experience level is beginner, self taught, no classes.

i have three wire welders, the hf 90 amp buzz box, a handler 190 mig, and a hobart i165 tig.
the hf produces messier results, mainly more splattering, the handler welds look better. i use
.030" wire from various suppliers. i can't see any big difference between wires, i would say this
is due to my skill level and not a material or metallurgy issue.

i did have problems when the polarity was wrong, or when gas flow rates are too low or when the tanks
aren't turned on or empty. having a mig gun for aluminum is a bonus. i couldnt get the aluminum wire
to fed properly with the regular hose and handle. i did a see a difference if i started the gas before starting
the arc, then holding the gas on for a bit after killing the arc. the ends looked better! i did end up getting
two mig tanks, one for straight gas one for mixed gas, the second tank was a freebie!

my tig is pretty much still in the box after three years, not ready for another new experience.

Im sure its time. Its the original liner almost 20 years old. I only replaced the tip 2 or 3 times lol but it works. most of the time
You must not burn much wire or you a just lucky.... I have been through 3 or 4 tips in one day welding 1/2'' plate....

Very seldom replace a tip welding body panels but turn up the heat and you better have some spares.

this is a very interesting thread. my welding experience level is beginner, self taught, no classes.

i have three wire welders, the hf 90 amp buzz box, a handler 190 mig, and a hobart i165 tig.
the hf produces messier results, mainly more splattering, the handler welds look better. i use
.030" wire from various suppliers. i can't see any big difference between wires, i would say this
is due to my skill level and not a material or metallurgy issue.

my tig is pretty much still in the box after three years, not ready for another new experience.
Phil you may well be your own worst enemy, although unintentionally....

The biggest fight that I see with new welders is the wrong wire choice and their biggest fear is blowing a hole in a piece.

I learned all my welding the hard way. I put on a helmet and leaned over a neighbors shoulder as a teenager and watched him weld with a stick welder. The same man never owned a Mig. But he could weld anything with a Tig. And I mean an old Lincoln that he bought new in the early 60's with a Lincoln high freq box sitting on the top.

There is no substitute for time spent under the hood. Period.

I have helped a lot of people learn to weld over the years with just a few simple demonstrations.

First, don't be afraid to turn the heat up and let it make a bead.

Second, pick up your travel speed and basically out run the weld puddle. People tend to move slowly and then they blow a hole because it gets to hot, then they slowdown even more... (this is the one thing I tell everyone, move faster) Try moving twice as fast forward as you have been with just a little more heat and stay ahead of the puddle. If at all possible always push the weld with the gun pointed in the direction of travel.

I would suggest that you stick to one machine for all your practice. I would set up your Handler because it has gas which will help in the long run. Change it over to .023 wire. You can weld 22 gauge through 1/4'' with it. I ran my first Mig, a Lincoln SP-140, for 15 years and never put anything but .023 wire in it. When I bought my Miller 251 I set it up with .035 and that's all I run in it.

Here is a suggestion for set up. When you are welding a joint space it apart the width of the material thickness and move as soon as you start. This applies to 22 gauge or 1/8'' plate.

This is 1/8'' plate gapped and welded.

Just practice the same thing every time until you get better. You can buy small sheet metal pieces at Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply and the like. We shear 3'' x 4'' 20 gauge coupons to practice on at school. If you can weld thin stuff without blowing holes then the thick stuff is easy.

Doug

lol..... The arrows were to indicate front and up..... We were fitting right and left boxing plates as we went.

Last edited:
Curious, Isn't the primary goal of flux wire is to be used in outdoor welding applications? Gas shielded in in-door applications? Maybe I am mistaken. I have used the flux core on my Lincoln outdoors with great results. Switched to std. wire and gas when in-doors. Something to do with the gas shield blowing away when outdoors, hence using the flux core. I thought I read that somewhere a few years back.
Regards,
Joe51

You can use either in either location. The key is if you have any air movement then the shielding gas is disturbed. The purpose of flux core wire is to increase penetration for welding rusty crusty metal. A Mig running straight wire and gas does not anything but clean fresh metal. And yes Flux core is the best choice for welding in the field but not the only choice.

Doug

Flux core is a wire from of a rod better shielding is the wind as for it burning through rust not so much . One thing with wire cleaning the metal is a big thing . Massive improvement in welds .

Welding tips and tricks on youtube good info there

I use 2 on all my Mig welders. One red and one black. Well worth the effort to keep the liner clean and lubricated.

Here are the Lube-Matic pads,

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?PNUM::1::OR:007062

This is the Lube-Matic lubricant/cleaner that you need to keep them fresh.

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?PNUM::1:UNDEF:OR:007040

Doug
Those are cool, my HTP came with one already installed, they def help keep the liner in good shape and the tips jam less.

Bird Brain

Flux core is not a good choice for a novice to begin welding with, the results are quite discouraging. Learn with gas(argon) and you can make flux do. All materials MUST be extra clean and all in comfort position to achieve strength and something that your not ashamed to say you did. Theres no short cut to time behind the hood.

65ShelbyClone

I'm going to disagree in that a novice is going to make bad welds with either one and flux core is easier and cheaper to practice with. The skills learned with it will then carry over to MIG. However, the MIG process requires more amps to get the same penetration which is why small 110v wire welders rarely come out of the box equipped for gas.

Bird Brain

I'm going to disagree in that a novice is going to make bad welds with either one and flux core is easier and cheaper to practice with. The skills learned with it will then carry over to MIG. However, the MIG process requires more amps to get the same penetration which is why small 110v wire welders rarely come out of the box equipped for gas.
Well one would like to agree with that statement especially at the cash register. Different heat and deposition rates are required i understand. Not everyone has an infinite budget i understand also, i say you will never go wrong purchasing the best equipment one can afford for a particular task. Even if the results less than perfect, the try was not.