West bend 820 on Mini bike

tomsprops

I have a Westbend 820 mounted in a Taco22 .It's extremly LOUD and dangerous to start ! I also have a Quarter Horse minibike which has a 820 as its original equiptment .It's alot more civilized to operate than my Taco .

Thanks Tomsprops for your feedback from a fellow Mb'er that has tried this engine. I have a 700 tricked out and wondering if worth to trade up for an 820. I know the 820's are fast- just was looking for feedback on the control. thinking on putting on a azusa frame with jackshaft on vintage asuza wheels. Bill1

Back in the day a buddy of mine had an 820 with 4 carbs on it. He'd go to the local hillclimb and beat most of the full size motorcycles. Only prob was he went thru clutches like crazy.

I have a couple of Chrysler Snorunners that have a WB820 on them. I have been wanting to mount one of the motors on a minibike for quite some time now, I haven't decided which one yet, either my Stellar or my Simplex Sportsman. I've been looking for a mount, G.E.M. makes one plus a couple of other company's. Problem is that Kart stuff is PRICEY. I have an extra Snorunner engine mount that I could use to make my own.
I think it will make a great minibike engine. It's factory detuned to about 7HP and with a few mods I can squeeze about 10 out of it. Plus it has a lighting coil to boot. About the biggest problem is that it is a CW spinning motor, so it will be mounted backwards- that is the recoil will be on the left side. A Fairbanks Mores kicker will fit, but a recoil will work too. Can't wait to start it.

Nice taco 22!!!! The WB 820 does looks good and my current 700 is RH DRIVE not a LH like yours which presents some problems because the chain will be so close to the reed header.

I bet your taco 22 flies - speeds at least in the 50's if you dared. Bill1

Mark G - take a look on ebay_ I see them from time to time. I bought a new one for my 580/700 mount for a 50.00 from a guy in oregon- he still shows his offer. Typical kart sytle - i would look for one that has engine bolt slots fore and aft- mine is left to right- just would be eaiser to install- less drilling. Bill1

My arctic cat screamer has the original 820 on it that I rebuilt-pretty wicked animal!! It has a great sound to it!! It should really have a kick start put on it- pull starting it can be dangerous!! I love this thing!!

I was looking at your pictures you have some nice bikes, I like the Coleman bike. I have one I need to get to. I do not have the original engine so I'm going with a 4hp Tecumseh one it.

When me & the wife go out riding, she drives the attex & I drive the Ramrod.The Screamer is used for 4-5 blasts down my 1/3 mile street then I put her away so my neighbors tolerate me-god what a blast & rush!!

West bend 810

Back in 1969 I bought a friends Rupp Continental, I then put on a Bonanza gas tank and a West Bend 810, Scary fast once started but that's another story. Burned and melted in to a puddle in a California brush fire in 1970

I bought a West Bend engine off of ebay , there was not a lot of info given in the description, but it looked just like the 820 I had 42 years ago. So I made a bid on it and won it , 272 dollars. It arrived and it was a 820 and it was all there, I then had to find someone that would check it out and work on it, I tried lawn mower shops in the San Fernando Valley and no one would look at it let alone work on it, until I went into CALIFORNIA POWER EQUIPMENT, they had never heard of West Bend but for $10 they would check it out! the next day they called and told me that the coil was rusty the ignition needed to be replaced and the carb needed to be rebuilt, so they cleaned the coil, installed a electronic ignition, rebuilt the carb, put the clutch on and installed a kill switch. 65 dollars later I have a killer engine waiting on the Rupp frame I bought off of ebay to arrive! If your in the L.A. area and you need 2 stroke engine work I highly recommend CALIFORNIA POWER EQUIPMENT 7444 VAN NUYS BLVD, VAN NUYS CA. 91405, PHONE 818 904 0226,:thumbsup: EMAIL calpowerequipment@abcglobal.net

Last edited:
malibucooper,
Can you double-check the email address you provided for California Power Equipment?:confused: It is a bad link and bounces back.
Thank you