West Bend/Chrysler 820 TAV

Hi everyone,
I have a fully rebuilt West Bend/Chrysler Power Bee 820, that I believe was originally on an Arctic Cat Screamer, and I would like to mount it on my 1970 Rupp Roadster. The only issue I’m running into, since the engine mounts perfectly, is sourcing a torque converter that would work with on a motor with 8hp+, as well as finding a driven that will fit the crankshaft. The crankshaft is pictured below, but I believe it to be a 5/8” that steps down and has a thread at the end. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 1590857972737.jpeg

And just in case anyone was concerned why I’m putting a west bend on a roadster, instead of the HS40- the frame and the original HS40 are completely plated in 50+ year old chrome. After rebuilding the motor and repainting it, I’d rather put it on display as a piece of art in my house. I figure it will still be period-correct, a lot faster, and still look really good! I’ll post a couple photos, just so you can see where I’m coming from.
West Bend: 2D331016-88A9-4C6B-988D-8B4A6EE7E92F.jpeg

Tecumseh HS40:
3F8AF913-8961-4EF3-88C4-AF61151588FD.jpeg

Nice looking bike and parts! Is the Chrysler engine model 82019? Any interest in selling?

Mike
Thanks! It is indeed model # 82019. I actually just got it, fully rebuilt and ready to go(outside of the clutch/torque converter). I was initially intending to use it on one of my vintage karts, but came to the conclusion it probably won’t be enough power. At this point, I’d like to try mounting it on my Rupp, especially since it’s a motor of the same era and style. It also happens to be a very rare counterclockwise crank, which of course works perfectly with a jackshaft setup.

Thanks! It is indeed model # 82019. I actually just got it, fully rebuilt and ready to go(outside of the clutch/torque converter). I was initially intending to use it on one of my vintage karts, but came to the conclusion it probably won’t be enough power. At this point, I’d like to try mounting it on my Rupp, especially since it’s a motor of the same era and style. It also happens to be a very rare counterclockwise crank, which of course works perfectly with a jackshaft setup.
Counter clockwise is not rare buddy

If they are as common as you say, would you mind pointing me in the direction of where I could source another one?
Very nice. It was always my understanding that CCW rotation in the West Bends were the norm. Maybe I'm mis informed. I know that clockwise rotation in a Clinton Panther is the tough to find scenario.

Very nice. It was always my understanding that CCW rotation in the West Bends were the norm. Maybe I'm mis informed. I know that clockwise rotation in a Clinton Panther is the tough to find scenario.
DLendon is correct. CW 820's are the norm, CCW far less common. BTW, DLendon, since you're into vintage karts, you probably know that for a left-hand setup, the carb would typically be mounted on the other side and the engine flipped on the mount so it's facing "forward" when mounted, but maybe there's some advantage of having it "backwards" on your mini. I have everything to build a CCW 820 which I intend to put on a mini at some point.

BTW, I'm not sure if the 82019 820 is 8 or 10 HP. There were multiple HP's depending on the application. The only difference between the lower and higher HP versions was the thickness of the head gasket. .032 for 10HP and .062 for 8HP. Swap out the head gasket if your engine has the thicker one for a cheap and easy power increase. BTW, Davis, an 820 weighs less than half of a potato digger. I'd put my money on the 820.

DLendon is correct. CW 820's are the norm, CCW far less common. BTW, DLendon, since you're into vintage karts, you probably know that for a left-hand setup, the carb would typically be mounted on the other side and the engine flipped on the mount so it's facing "forward" when mounted, but maybe there's some advantage of having it "backwards" on your mini. I have everything to build a CCW 820 which I intend to put on a mini at some point.

BTW, I'm not sure if the 82019 820 is 8 or 10 HP. There were multiple HP's depending on the application. The only difference between the lower and higher HP versions was the thickness of the head gasket. .032 for 10HP and .062 for 8HP. Swap out the head gasket if your engine has the thicker one for a cheap and easy power increase. BTW, Davis, an 820 weighs less than half of a potato digger. I'd put my money on the 820.
Thanks for the info!
I was aware of the bit about carb configuration differences- this engine was originally from a Scat Cat Screamer, so it would make sense that it’s set up this way.
It actually fits perfectly on my ‘70 Roadster. It’s also faster, and personally, I think it looks better than original... BFE16ACB-8573-4FB0-9FA7-62B4A46AB7ED.jpeg B252DE2C-92C0-464E-9120-64C1CDD08ABC.jpeg

Thanks for the info!
I was aware of the bit about carb configuration differences- this engine was originally from a Scat Cat Screamer, so it would make sense that it’s set up this way.
It actually fits perfectly on my ‘70 Roadster. It’s also faster, and personally, I think it looks better than original... View attachment 267026 View attachment 267027
Do you mean an Artic Cat Screamer? Also I hope your second mortgage payments aren't too high after paying for all that chrome bling. Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean an Artic Cat Screamer? Also I hope your second mortgage payments aren't too high after paying for all that chrome bling. Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
haha yes, I did mean arctic cat screamer. I need to remember to think before I type.

And luckily for me, I inherited the bike with all the chrome on it already- its been that way since 1970

It is indeed model # 82019.
I was looking for some other stuff and found info on the 82019 Model - From the Chrysler Power Bee 1981 service manual
1- Major Use - Motor Bike
2- Customer - Arctic Enterprises
3- Original year built - 1971
4 - 6.4 HP at 6000 RPM

Time to swap out that head gasket. It must really be a thick one. Have you looked to see how thick it looks? Maybe you'll luck out and someone already swapped it out.

Bill

A little more info on that 820. I just learned that some of the "industrial" 820's also had porting differences, so just changing the head gasket will likely not bring the HP all the way to 10, but it still would still help a lot if you have the thick gasket in there now.

The engine has been gone through, as far as I’m aware, with parts according to original specs. But I’ll have to get the cover off to confirm. Thanks for the info!

You can see the head gasket thickness from the side, and if you just pulled off the muffler you can see its intake and exhaust port configuration and also if it has a chrome bore or not. I always thought all 820's had chrome bores, but I guess I was wrong.

Ok, you guys talking about different porting and 820's got me curious because I didn't think either one were correct. I talked with Dave Bonbright(the West Bend guy) and he said