Western Flyer SS300 Need help!

I got this really cheap, it was ragged out and I semi-restored it but now need an engine and need some guidance on what will fit.
I put a 5hp Tecumseh and too big, actually it just fits off centered and over the right peg.
I was looking at the Harbor Freight 2 1/2 hp. I am assuming the SS300 is a 3hp originally.
I cannot find much info on the web for these so anything you guys can give me is appreciated.
Thanks

Not 100% sure but I think they came with a 3hp too. I like how you done yours. Is that a orginal ss300 decal? You can make an adapter plate like the doodlebug guy's do and put almost any engine you want in it. Look in the photo section, I think someone has a picture of a orignal ss300.
Mine had a 5hp B&S stuffed in it, after I finish redoing the frame I plan on putting a 3 or 3 1/2hp Tecumseh back in it. I'm still looking for a set of fenders for it.

Yes, it is the original sticker and it also has the original serial number plate with the MTD number.
Thanks for the reply. I will see what I can do with an adapter plate.

I'd put a 3.5 briggs on it! The HF 2.5 is underpowered plus on OKC CL right now there are at least 3 gas edgers with 3hp or better engines for less than $100 each! I just scored some 3.5s at a pawn shop for less than $100 each on a blower and edger! That minibike deserves a good engine!
Look on your local CL or pawn shop and see what shakes out!

Here are the pics. I can email them if you prefer to get a better view. The serial number decal is not back on it yet. I had to take it off when I stripped the frame to refinish it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the CL and edgers, I will look for one.

delray

your ss300 originally came with a 3 1/2hp tecumseh with a front mount tank. not sure why you are having a problem with a 5hp tecumseh? it should be the same size block? unless your trying to install a big block 5hp motor? trying to install briggs rear mount tank will be real close to the back fender? might want to double check that first. bike looks to good for a clone engine. nice one to try to restore original:thumbsup:
your bike :rolleyes: do what you want.......:thumbsup:

Agreed. Aim for original. :thumbsup:
YEAH!!!!! I'm pretty sure ANYONE will agree there.. :thumbsup: I've heard very little good about those Horrible Freight 2.5's anyways..

You should be able to search craigslist around you for rototillers and snow blowers and stuff like that to find a Tecumseh 3.5 to make your bike look right.. The mini bike engines have different throttle assemblies and flywheels and stuff like that, from OTHER types of engines like snow blowers and stuff... But the BASE engine is the same.. It is not hard to piece an engine together, and run a 1989 engine that looks exactly as if it was a 1969 mini bike motor.. :shrug: I have a few very nice little Tecumseh 2.5 - 3.5 motors but have the exhaust port out the side... SOME minibikes used that, like Skat Kitty.... But most have the exhaust port out the back..

BUT!! I also have newer 1980's 3.5 horse engines with the exhaust ports out the back, only THOSE engines were on snowblowers and have the wrong big iron flywheel and bigger wrong cover... :doah:

THE COOL THING is that I could remove the front blower housing and aluminum flywheel off from a 3.5 horse side dumper engine, and put it on the snow blower motor and have pretty close to right... I actually need to make a project of that for a member here....

But for as nice as your machine is.... I would definitely go with an older flathead Tecumseh or even Briggs... But for the price you will pay for a BRAND NEW engine that is trouble from day one... You could spend the same or less money and pick up something with no warranty BUT DOESN'T NEED one because it's 10 times the motor and will last longer anyways..

This engine was a tiller motor from a bike I bought that had totaly wrong stuff on it.. But it's got a throttle already hooked up and working, governor working, the SMALL 2 inch clutch, side exhaust... Someone could throw the bowl carb and square air box on it.. blast it down, spray it red, and call it a Skat Kitty motor.. :shrug: I built it for my Bonanza to sell, but decided to keep the bike and threw a Briggs 5 horse with Tecumseh carb in it like I do everything.. :lol:

[/IMG]

Last edited:
I think the problem he has is that the engine hangs over to the right, blocking the use of the right footpeg. I just finished the same bike, but with a clone engine. Same problem. I am experimenting with different locations for footpegs now. As of today, I have them clamped between the front of the motorplate and the bend in the frame. Its about the only spot that gives me use of both pegs and doesnt let my knees hit the bars.
Its still kinda tight, but it works for me.

NICE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I think the problem he has is that the engine hangs over to the right, blocking the use of the right footpeg. I just finished the same bike, but with a clone engine. Same problem. I am experimenting with different locations for footpegs now. As of today, I have them clamped between the front of the motorplate and the bend in the frame. Its about the only spot that gives me use of both pegs and doesnt let my knees hit the bars.
Its still kinda tight, but it works for me.

NICE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
Yeah... this was my quick fix so I could go chase down mushrooms... :lol: But the right motor should fit right.. It sounds to me like you are either running the H50 big block like is in a 69 Rupp Goat... OR the the motor has the iron flywheel and deeper front cover.. The mini bike motors used the smaller shroud and thin aluminum flywheel.. They don't stick out near as far, less bulky..

[/IMG]

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. The 5HP motor I tried "was" the H50. It was wider than most. I did find an edger on Craigslist for free with a 3 1/2 HP Briggs. It does not have fire but getting a tune up kit with points, condensor, etc and it should run.

I have rebuilt ATV's and dirt bikes but this is my first minibike, starter for my youngest son before giving him a Suzuki DS80 which was rebuilt with a weisco piston, and runs like a top.

Thanks again for the help, and I will put some finished pics when I get it going.

delray

kind of thought maybe it was a big block. you can always save it for a next project. a person never can build just one minibike:rolleyes:
if you can't find a small tecumseh in a 3 1/2 with rear exhaust? a hs-40 (4hp) will work just find too and still look correct for the bike and with no problems of anything getting in the way:thumbsup:. bike also original came with a clutch setup, so you don't have to worry about you kid doing wheelies... not like it's sister bike the mtd or columbia that came with a 4hp and a torque converter. wheelies all day with that set up. that was my first bike i road. dad purchase that new in 1970 and still have it. i wont let my kid ride that:doah: goodluck on your project:thumbsup: post some pic's when finish. best projects when it's for your kid:thumbsup:
here is a picture of a small block tecumseh
WESTERN FLYER TRAIL BIKE SS300

I finally got it done today!!! I put on a 3.5hp briggs with a 5:1 ratio and it runs really good.:scooter: Thanks for the help on engine selection and tips.
Any ideas on a clutch cover? I need one before my sons get a hold of it.:thumbsup: