What dirt bike should I get?

I have a 05 kx 125 right now and am looking to upgrade to a bigger used bike. I rode a rmz 250 fully pinned through 5th gear and the front end never felt like it was even close to lifting up :doah:. I am 6 "2 and weigh about 240 lbs with all my riding gear. I am between a crf450 and a 250 two stroke maybe a yz250. Both would have enough power for me but which one would be cheaper to maintain? Do I have to be in the power band on a 250 2 stroke to go off a jump? thanks
tundrabeagle3

Ok which one is easier to maintain? And an if I jump a 250 two stroke with out hitting the power band is the bike still going to jump level or is the front tire going to be down like on my kx125? thanks
tundrabeagle3

Don't be a pussy and just go for a big bore 2 stroke. I was 280+ lbs when I had my YZ490 and it was either pulling the front wheel or spinning the rear tire when I got on it. It was also faster than my friend's 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone with cams, carb and exhaust.

I want a plated CR500 for some hooligan action so bad. It just sucks that they're so expensive when they pop up.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Like Strig said, big bore two strokes RULE! And their a LOT easier and cheaper to maintain than your modern high revving four strokes. Find a good used KX500 Kawi YZ490 or a CR500 while you still can.

Yea I like the 4 stroke 450s because there power band is a lot more useable. But I would be happy with a 250 2 stroke if I dont have to be in the power band to go off a jump. That way I wont over jump everthing like on my 125. My first jump on a dirt bike was at least 70ft off of an 8 to 10 ft jump only in second gear in the power band :laugh: . It doesn't make it very practical for smaller jumps . And like I said earlier if I am not in the power band off a jump the 125 will have the front tire land first. Does the 250 2 stroke have the same problem?

Arent the 250 2 strokes and the 450s in the same class? the 500 2 strokes are too old I am looking for a bike 2003 or newer with good suspension so I can haul ass through the rough stuff. The 500 2 stroke only has 10 hp more than a 250 2 stroke, the newer bikes are putting out more power for there size as technology increases. My 05 kx125 will easily keep up with an older 250 2 stroke (like a 97 or 96)

Yea I know it has more torque than a 250 two stroke but like I said I dont want a bike that old. My bike right now has racetech suspension front and back which is awesome what good is a fast mx bike if it can't handle going fast through the rough stuff?:shrug:

Yea I know it has more torque than a 250 two stroke but like I said I dont want a bike that old. My bike right now has racetech suspension front and back which is awesome what good is a fast mx bike if it can't handle going fast through the rough stuff?:shrug:
its pretty clear you know nothing about dirtbikes take some classes.

you want something with good suspension and easy maintenance well buy a crf450!

MB165

two strokes are less expensive to maintain. Depending on your skill maybe a 450, or maybe a YZ250 2 stroke if you are still in c class.
if you just trail ride and dont compete you could get a older open bike cheap. the handle good, heres my 1985 CR500, still holding together, and it is still competitive if you +40 vet:laugh:.

Last edited:
Yea I read on a dirtbike forum that 450fs need their oil changed every 5 hours and the valves changed every 30 hours can anybody verify this? its seems kinda of excessive , can I get away with lapping the valves and changing the oil every 10 to 20 hours? I don't complete professionally but I love to race my friends I usually do 45 to 50 mph through the whoops to get my adrenaline flowing.