what do i need and how to install 6.5 harbor freight motor

this is my mini bike will the engine bolt right in?? what all do i need???

i just picked up the motor last night. how fast would it take me if i weight 220???

Jesus.. I don't know.. thats quite the upgrade.. They sell a conversion kit for installing them on a Doodlebug but thats a Doddlebug.. I think you'd be better off getting your Tecumseh going..

You can adjust the governor too.. :thumbsup: Hook the spring onto a hole higher up on the main long arm on the governor and it will give you more leverage advantage over the internal governor.. :scooter:

oldsledz

It should bolt right in, top speed will be about the same, assuming the Tec is running good, but it will get to top speed a lot quicker.

toomanytoys

If both motors are running perfectly, factory governors are hooked up properly.

THEY WILL RUN THE SAME TOP SPEED!

It doesn't matter if you find a way to bolt a 13HP Clone in there, its going to go the same top speed. It will get to the top speed quicker, If it went 20.9 MPH before, it will go 20.9 MPH after you put the 6.5hp motor in.

If both motors are running perfectly, factory governors are hooked up properly.

THEY WILL RUN THE SAME TOP SPEED!

It doesn't matter if you find a way to bolt a 13HP Clone in there, its going to go the same top speed. It will get to the top speed quicker, If it went 20.9 MPH before, it will go 20.9 MPH after you put the 6.5hp motor in.
So you are saying that the clone and a tec both have the same rpm governing? I.e. Both are governed to 3600rpm?

toomanytoys

So you are saying that the clone and a tec both have the same rpm governing? I.e. Both are governed to 3600rpm?
I know the H40 will be 3600rpm.

From the research I've done on Clone motors, and people actually hooking a tach up to them, 3500-3700 seems to be what they come out of the box at. Quality Control isn't real high.

Play with the speed calculator.

http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html

I put in the information on my super bronc, 21" tire, 9/60, 3600RPM came up with 34mph, crank it up to 4000RPM, 37 MPH, only a 3mph increase.

More HP will get you to top speed quicker! But same top speed. The bigger HP will allow you to pull a higher gearing, but at the lose of that extra low end you gained

Last edited: