What octane fuel can I run?

I have a honda gx200 with a billet rod, flat top piston, 285 cam, head ported and milled.080 with 28.5mm intake and 25mm exhaust valves, cromoly push rods and billet 1.2 rockers, arc aluminum flywheel, 28mm mikuni, I am currently running 94 octane and I want to no if I can run true blue (110 octane) safely with out damaging my engine?

For a high comp. engine like yours, the higher the octane the better, BUT you don't want to run anything less than 93 or that will cause knocking.
Basically you can run 110

My new motor is very simalar. I bought 121 and I am going to mix it 50%-50% with 91 to get 106 octane.

BTW, What jets are you running on the 28 Mikuni pilot and main?

Thank you!

TT

17.5 pilot and 145 main, pulls like a raped ape. I just want to run as high of octane as possible, someone was telling me I would burn up my rings if I ran any more than 94. I just wanted to now if anyone else was running high octane with success.

I've got an 8 degree key in it now. Is there a way to get more timing or is that enough? But can I run 110 octane safely?

Last edited:
Godfather,

One more question. What is you elevation where you live? I am trying to get an idea where to start on jetting a new stage 7 motor. I live at sea level near the beach in CA.

Thanks again for the info! Russ at Nr-racing said; start at 280 main and 15 pilot.

TT :scooter:

Not sure I'm in Detroit Michigan. Russ lives right around the corner from me thats where I get my parts from. I'm gonna play with a bigger main this weekend my bike still a little lean.

Last edited:
Shooting for a Monday fire up after searching jets tomorrow and getting fuel mixture ready..

Thank you again for your suggestions. I will follow Russ recomendations and move from there... I am very pleased with his motor... It's a sleeper...15 HP on House Carb. looking for more!

TT :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I just want to run as high of octane as possible, someone was telling me I would burn up my rings if I ran any more than 94.

i doubt that would happen going to a higher octane fuel. 110 burns slower and cooler than 94 (some people run a mix of it in their Harleys to help keep them cooler) which is why you need it when the compression gets up there. generally, you will make the most power running the lowest octane possible since you can take advantage of all the energy that is in it. at least newer cars have knock sensors that will pull some timing out if you run too low of an octane fuel (thus costing you power).

that's my take on it when it comes to cars. i may be wrong here but i figure the same principles apply.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Shooting for a Monday fire up after searching jets tomorrow and getting fuel mixture ready..

Thank you again for your suggestions. I will follow Russ recomendations and move from there... I am very pleased with his motor... It's a sleeper...15 HP on House Carb. looking for more!

TT :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Once you get the big carb figured out it should make good power.:thumbsup:

Charles a.k.a. MINIDRAGBIKE

I read the complete Mikuni book and it explained in simple terms the Pilot jet handles the mid range or half throttle, and the Main jet handles full throttle. So, I do know the basics. There is a mathmatical figure your looking for in air and fuel mixture and I will have to refer back to the book to get that information. Any additional help is always appreciated!

The recoil is still not engaging the way I feel it shoud and may need a simple washer on top of the flywheel and behind the recoil catch. Otherwise, it's still a sore back issue to lay down and bolt the motor to the frame.... I am shopping jets and getting fuel as I mentioned. It will be worth the wait as I did this motor build professionally and love it!

TT :smile:

Last edited: