What speeds are you guys getting with your 3hp Briggs

I was just wondering what speeds some of you guys are getting running a 3hp Briggs flathead? Mine will get maybe 20mph with me on it. It is a 3hp Briggs with a milled head, straight pipe, velocity stack, 10 tooth clutch and a 72 tooth rear sprocket. I just have heard guys saying they get 30mph out of theirs and I am wondering what I should be doing. :shrug:

if you want it to have enough power to move you around you cant expect too much top speed out of it. but why not try a 65tooth and see how it does. you dont wanna be smoking the clutch though so watch out for that

TomH

12/72 gear,3500RPM,12Dia tire=21 mph. I bet you are going faster than 20 Clayton. I don't know what a stock 3 horse RPM's are though, much less a modded one.
4000RPM=24mph.

I don't know it is slow at take off and it doesn't got very fast. Do you think it needs rings? I thought it had good compression. :shrug:

TomH

I don't know bro. I don't have any bike with a three HP to compare it to. If it isn't fast enough, Throw a five or a clone on there. I think a three is for putting around, and cruising and looking cool. :scooter:

oldfatguy

you need to remove the ez-spin lobe from the cam, if your exhaust valve is partly open on the compression stroke you are not getting the full potential from the engine. Filing that off of the cam really helps improve the idle and the low end power. My 3hp briggs will start on the first pull and idles down nice and smooth