What type of tools?

I am new to mini bikes and small engines I have already started a tool collection including used snap on, Mac, cornwell, and craftsman. I was wondering what other people used while working on mini bikes. If anybody wants to see what I have please ask and I'll post a picture.

I use my dads snap on tools. He also has some German brand tools. And then I have a ratchet set (not brand name) and some miscellaneous tools like pliers, vernier calipers, allen keys, etc.

I do have a minibike-specific tool box that I bring with my drag bike.
Has everything I need to work on that bike, but nothing great -some Craftsman and other foreign cheap stuff. Mostly Allen wrenches, open end wrenches, couple sockets, screwdrivers, extra fuel line, clutch spring tool, extra jets, plug, fresh oil, etc.
I bought a 1/4" 12-point deep socket for rod bolts, I think from ez bore. I need to by a flywheel puller one of these days.
I think that's it for minibike tools.

Last edited:

Twid

Snap on,Mac, Mac co and craftsman. I hate Cornwell tools! Thing your going to need chain breaker, ring compressor and flywheel/ pulley puller. My advice buy quality buy American! No offense but not that bad is still bad.

I have a wide range of tool brands especially in sockets and ratchets from cornwell to craftsman and snap on and even junk if I lose one but I replace the better sockets if lost or broken. I have $500 or more in Snap On pliers and half that or more in screwdrivers and other handled tools and I like them very much but I could use any quality tool and be happy. It's nice to have a Snap On man come by the shop and run a line of credit but it adds up come payday and when I was married I caught hell because her dad was a craftsman man who though Snap On was a rip off but he likely was just cheap. Buy good brands in metric and standard and not Harbor Freight stuff except Torque wrenches which work surprisingly well especially the inch pounds 1/4" drive unit, HF sells a few other things that are OK but beware of things that force will be used on or anything you will be hammering on or with. Buy a good chain tool also, I do not use one at all but I'm old school but they do work great for both experienced and novice users. Don't rush out and buy everything at once unless you need it all right away, look at pawn shops or look for Christmas sales at Sears and Ace Hardware who sells some Craftsman tools now. Cobalt are good tools too. No China stuff unless absolutely no other affordable option is the general rule for a working tool box. Good luck and happy minibiking.

For my main tools that I use every day it's snap on or blue point. The other stuff doesn't hold up over time like the snap on stuff. At least this is what I have found. At home I have a mix of everything: Williams, proto, husky, Stanley etc. because that stuff usn't used every day.
And thanks for reminding me guys, I forgot to mention a chain tool.

Here's my short list of should haves:
Small engine ring expander
Small engine ring compressor--Don't get one at Harbor Freight as it's really too big.
Flywheel holder (the Flathead Briggs one is nice and may work for Tecumsehs if you're careful. BTW, these come in different sizes and you may need more than one)
Small Engine Valve Spring compressor--there's a couple different types depending on application.
1/4" drive inch-pound torque wrench--Harbor Freight's works pretty well
1/4" deep sockets
Allen and Torx sockets

Two or three of every size wrench and socket , a bunch of hammers and a couple of grinders

Then leave them scattered randomly around the garage floor

That way you always have one close by when you need it

Two or three of every size wrench and socket , a bunch of hammers and a couple of grinders

Then leave them scattered randomly around the garage floor

That way you always have one close by when you need it
LOL! Well Rob, that type of tool set up doesn't seem to slow you down at all on your builds! :thumbsup:

I also like to carefully put away my consumables, so that I can always figure I am out, and go and buy more. It's like Christmas to discover four rolls of masking tape, two cans of carburetor cleaner, and a brand new can of satin black paint!

i have been collecting tools since i was eight years old and still have some of my original stuff, i have SK sockets, Sears, Kolbalt, Stanley and yeah some HF tools. now days i go to antique stores, car shows and flea markets and look for good old made in the USA tools just because i like tools so much but also looking for the unusual type tool . a few weeks ago i bought a homemade tap tool that looks kinda like a hand power drill press, i haven't tried it yet as my workbench's are kinda out of room for mounting anything but will try to post a picture.