Where are the snow shoveling, grass cutting kids?

WrenchDad

I mowed three yards (excluding my own) when I was a kid ,and it started out as a request to help some elderly ladies that my neighbor knew. I had to set up days and times to go to their house (on my bicycle) and cut their yards and rake. It was done out of respect for people not for money. It also taught me responsibility and what it meant to be dependable. After about three times each they did start to pay me and wouldn't take NO for an answer. ($5 each) but that was cool, It gave me $60 a month if it didn't rain and that was enough for some running around money and some things I wanted. I saved the rest for school clothes. A lot of kids these days have no idea about things like that ,they live in an entitlement age where they think they are owed something for nothing.

Great topic and I read them all and I did a lot of jobs as a kid just for spending money for things like store bought school clothes. No boy wants a shirt made out of seersucker material by his Mother. I and another neighbor boy would go out at night to the local gas stations and lay down all the hoses and then drain them into pop bottles so that we had gas for the old reel type mower and would drag that mower around the area looking for customers that would let us cut the grass and it worked OK I had paper routes when I was 13 and even delivered one paper in the AM and for another paper in the evening. I even washed windows pulled weeds. One job was where they were building new homes I got a small job picking up all the trash and short pieces of wood from the houses and even crawled under the houses to bring out drops. and the word scraps was used the next day for the carpenters morning coffee around the burn barrel. I washed cars for a lot of the neighbors. One failed adventure was to try to sell Mistletoe to house wife's should of went to the offices around I would of had better luck.
Steve

Kids knock on my door every time we get a few inches of snow. My wife always tells them my husband will get it :hammer:

My cousin who is 31 years old now started to mow lawns when he was 14. Now he employees 3 people and has plenty of work doing lawns and retaining walls.

As a young kid I mowed lawns, washed vehicles and did odd jobs for my relatives. I had a mini bike given to me by my uncle for always helping. I worked my way up to a brand new Yamaha RT100 dirt bike in middle school and saved enough money to buy a 1972 C10 in 8th grade :thumbsup:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
All the stories hit home with me, if you will.

I used to Bicycle 10miles one way to mow a lawn. Large lawn, good money each week.

Had great fun as in the same town as the lawn. " Was the Go Kart track " YES !

Ya know, I never took a cent of that money home, somehow it never made it there.

:laugh::smile::smile::laugh:

rmm727

I would agree on a price and not care how it was done as long as it was done well.
^This. I used to mow a property my dad had in town. Took me about an hour and a half with a push mower. Dad used to pay me $5. I mowed these other lawns nearby and got paid the same for a third the time. My mom said he should pay me more so I got $10 from then on. Got smart and saved my money for a rider. Then he didn't want to pay me as much. Sad thing is he used to pay a guy $25 to do it before I was old enough to mow it. My dad was like that.