which block is stronger Predator vs 6.5 clone

Im building a drag motor and was wondering which block will be best for higher horse power,I have MDB head with 32.5mm and 27,mm valve,hunter rocker,MDD cam 310,246 at 50,flat top piston,billet rod and flywheel,28mm alky Mikuni carb.If the Predator is a better block and if the 16cc more it has will make a big difference or will be better off keeping what I have because the parts are cheaper and already have them

Im building a drag motor and was wondering which block will be best for higher horse power,I have MDB head with 32.5mm and 27,mm valve,hunter rocker,MDD cam 310,246 at 50,flat top piston,billet rod and flywheel,28mm alky Mikuni carb.If the Predator is a better block and if the 16cc more it has will make a big difference or will be better off keeping what I have because the parts are cheaper and already have them
Its not worth fooling with a clone block past 15 or so hp. Im pretty sure with that head, cam, carb combo you have it will make better than 20 hp. Get a Honda block and have somebody weld it. Then when you want more power ...you dont have to start over.

People try it with cars all the time. They take a stock block rated to hold 500 hp and try and run a 650hp set up on them..... and wonder why it blew apart. :laugh:

Plus notice the underlined section of your post. That piston wont fit a predator. The bore is slightly bigger

Last edited:
A clone could take it if built right and maintained correctly. A big problem is venting all the pressure in the crank case. That's a big problem. My new motor is over 20 HP and on alky. No welding or supports. Works fine for a clone. I've seen the same problems clones have on hondas . Predator has yet to proven its self.

Predator has yet to proven its self.

I agree

I have not seen an actual HF engine.
Only the PA version on some pumps.
The castings look excellent and made like a Honda but we don't know yet how strong.

Its not worth fooling with a clone block past 15 or so hp. Im pretty sure with that head, cam, carb combo you have it will make better than 20 hp. Get a Honda block and have somebody weld it. Then when you want more power ...you dont have to start over.

People try it with cars all the time. They take a stock block rated to hold 500 hp and try and run a 650hp set up on them..... and wonder why it blew apart. :laugh:

Plus notice the underlined section of your post. That piston wont fit a predator. The bore is slightly bigger

we did a single turbo silverado ss awd, stock truck block, stock crank, forged pistons, stock rods, made 950 at the wheels,and at 5500lbs, went 11.42, so, thats not always true, and today the guy still has it with 80,000+ on it, just sayin:shrug: maybe they just try with the wrong brand:doah: J/K!!!

we did a single turbo silverado ss awd, stock truck block, stock crank, forged pistons, stock rods, made 950 at the wheels,and at 5500lbs, went 11.42, so, thats not always true, and today the guy still has it with 80,000+ on it, just sayin:shrug: maybe they just try with the wrong brand:doah: J/K!!!
Oh SNAP! You got me on that one. Old small block Ford stock blocks are weak. 500hp is the magic boom boom #. However.....Cobra blocks which would be a better comparison to what you are talking about are good to a 1000hp. Actually... the entire bottom end will hold that number with a great tune. As you prob know... Its all in the tune.

I run a 9.5 Deck Dart Iron Eagle block with splayed mains. Im not even close to what that block can hold. Mine went 9.99 N/A on pump gas. And I dont mean E 85. Just good ole 93. 9.35 on just a cheater plate 150 shot leaving soft.I street race the thing and keep it mild so it doesnt eat springs every week.

11's are dam good for that land barge.:laugh: But 950 hp with awd should be in the 10s even with that weight. Im guessing it made that peak power pretty late in the pull. Have you tried spraying it out of the hole to spool the turbo quicker?

ProTurbo the problem is the stock clone bore will only have .060 cle. to the intake valve and the predator will only have .100 cle. Yes it will clear but the head valve combo wont perform, with all that hard work that was done to it. Get a honda block and 3.000 bore it.

ProTurbo the problem is the stock clone bore will only have .060 cle. to the intake valve and the predator will only have .100 cle. Yes it will clear but the head valve combo wont perform, with all that hard work that was done to it. Get a honda block and 3.000 bore it.
LOL... its not the bore that effects valve clearance. Its piston depth which is determined by rod length and combustion chamber height.

Pro Turbo... you need to just let MDB put you a combo together. It will be worth it in the end. Well......... that is if you want a high end piece. Im sure others could do it also. But if you ever want a 30hp or more engine.... that kinda steps out of the realm of a parts changer with these little guys.

Last edited:
Let me clarify what i was talking about. Yes there is clearance between piston to valve and yes ther is clearance between cylinder wall to the valve,which schrouds and impeeds flow. This is what i meant.

I kinda think the "Lifan" clones may be a better engine of all the chinese clones because early on Honda used Lifan to machine and cast engine parts for the so called Genuine Honda engines. I would agree to go Genuine Honda if you could but if your clone is a Lifan made I'd probably choose it to do a build over the newer predator series.
jmho: Walt