Which mounting plate for a tav2

NewAge

Which mounting plate is commonly used for the tav2, I noticed that you can get a cast plate or a stamped steel plate, what are the advantages of each and what criteria is used in making a choice :confused:

I would be installing it on a 6.5 clone and an azusa frame.

NewAge

Also, I noticed that the tav2 comes with a 12t drive gear for a 35 chain, can the 12t gear swapped out?

I would like to attain a top speed of around 65 mph, would I need a jackshaft to get the gearing combo right?

Last edited:
I don't know if there is any difference in actual use but the cast Aluminum back is more enclosing than the steel one, that may keep dirt out of the parts better.
Wanting a top speed of 65 MPH you better be wearing leathers and a helmet or they may not be calling you OLD AGE ever. LOL
I guess that BMI sells optional sprockets for the Comet TAV's The TAV-2 30 system has a built in overdrive of 17% so the final ratio is 83:1 .
I am not sure that the older Torque-a-Vertor has the same overdrive even though it is a 30 series asymmetrical system.
Steve :scooter:

The steel plate is garbage! I have seen some crack and they are not fixable, but the good news is you can buy a aluminum plate and switch over the components. The only thing good about the steel plates are they make good door stops! And yes bmikarts sell a big selection of different sized gears to put in. Actually any 5/8 shaft sprocket will work as long as it has the spacers on both sides.

I had to trim the rear oil filler cap, remove the stamped steel cover on the bottom of the head, trim away some of the webbing on the plate, and drill 4 mounting holes (one between each stock mounting hole) for the cast one to fit the clone. Prepare to do some work for it to fit a clone.

NewAge

I don't know if there is any difference in actual use but the cast Aluminum back is more enclosing than the steel one, that may keep dirt out of the parts better.
Wanting a top speed of 65 MPH you better be wearing leathers and a helmet or they may not be calling you OLD AGE ever. LOL
I guess that BMI sells optional sprockets for the Comet TAV's The TAV-2 30 system has a built in overdrive of 17% so the final ratio is 83:1 .
I am not sure that the older Torque-a-Vertor has the same overdrive even though it is a 30 series asymmetrical system.
Steve :scooter:
HA! Steven you're funny, yeah I talk like a crazy kid, fact is I'm 52, let me clarify my madness. My son is 12 and he and I want to have a pair of built 6.5 minis to take out to El Mirage dry lakebed here in California El Mirage Main
This place definitely allows you to spool up to full speed, we had our E-Rex electric mini up to 55 and it left us looking for a higher gear, hence a target of 65 for the new projects which will have the rear extended about 6" and the bars dropped about 2". Anyway the minis will be specialized and used under adult supervision (because my wife will be there) and all safety equipment will be mandatory. :biggrin:

Maybe I don't really need the Tav setup, just fishin for experienced input.

I have a steel plate on the doodle + clone and there is more clearance where the diven shaft is to the engine head on the clone and I didn't have to raise the engine like everyone else by moding the mount holes.. I've had no problems with the Tav 30 steel plate and I got it from a 1970 bike so it was well used! AND you can weld bars to it for strength if you want to. The Tave 2 aluminum plat is bulky and heavy for alloy. It's ok for flat heads clearance wise.

I think the bad rap for 30 plates where from go carts with more HP. Still the welder could make them stong as hell if need be.

Flat as a Pancake LOL

HA! Steven you're funny, yeah I talk like a crazy kid, fact is I'm 52, let me clarify my madness. My son is 12 and he and I want to have a pair of built 6.5 minis to take out to El Mirage dry lakebed here in California El Mirage Main
This place definitely allows you to spool up to full speed, we had our E-Rex electric mini up to 55 and it left us looking for a higher gear, hence a target of 65 for the new projects which will have the rear extended about 6" and the bars dropped about 2". Anyway the minis will be specialized and used under adult supervision (because my wife will be there) and all safety equipment will be mandatory. :biggrin:

Maybe I don't really need the Tav setup, just fishin for experienced input.
Sure brings back the good memories of weekends spent on the El Mirage Lake bed . We went there with our trike group ( American Tri-Wheel Association ) we were a group that held all kinds of different events all over the dessert from Hare n Hounds to just play days. It was fun to share the lake bed with the variety of vehicles that would come out there like the Gyro-Copters and land Sailer's . Have a bunch of fun and take some pictures of your day. Steve :scooter:

I have a steel plate on the doodle + clone and there is more clearance where the diven shaft is to the engine head on the clone and I didn't have to raise the engine like everyone else by moding the mount holes.. I've had no problems with the Tav 30 steel plate and I got it from a 1970 bike so it was well used! AND you can weld bars to it for strength if you want to. The Tave 2 aluminum plat is bulky and heavy for alloy. It's ok for flat heads clearance wise.

I think the bad rap for 30 plates where from go carts with more HP. Still the welder could make them stong as hell if need be.
That is a great one thing for a mini bike... have done great...:scooter: