Who made my minibike?

Bird Engineering. Here's yeehaw1960s
[/IMG]

Here's my roller, with turf tires. They came with the terra tires. The seat is the original on mine. I've since found the tank and TAV for it. Still looking for the HS40 engine.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
Cool ad. Finally, a picture of a new one. Not all were sold by Penneys. yeehaws has a plate on the front with the Bird logo. I guess Penneys would have called them Foremosts???
I'm guessing mine was sold at Sears or Penneys since it doesn't have the logo plate.

[/IMG]

Ok, so I just bought one of these from a guy for $180 that is all original except for the fact that it is missing the brake. Would someone mind taking a close up picture of the brake? I would like to see how it fit and was hooked up so that I can determine what to do for a replacement. Thanks.

I'd like to see a pic too. Mine has a 4 1/2" drum on both wheels. The rear is a sprocket/drum like the Azusa and Bonanzas, but no brake plates or brakes. The fork and frame have a block on the inside, so the backing plate would have a large slot to fit the block to secure the backing plate.

4 1/2" drum, not sure how deep. The backing plate would look like or very similar to the silver one in this pic. I bought this silver one to use on mine. I may have to drill new mounting holes though. This one is only 4 1/4", but I coast to a stop, then use the brake to finish stopping. I think it will be ok til I can get the right ones for front and rear. I'd like to see a pic of the original though, so I'd know for sure what I was looking for.

It really needs to be anchored with a large slot like this.

If you cut everything but one cable boss and enough metal to support it, and weld a couple pieces of 3/8 keystock to the plate to form the slot, it may work, but it's hard to say without actually trying it. I thought about it, but guessed I might end up with something that wouldn't work. If I had an old ugly one, I would try. Not worth buying a new one just to try though. The one pictured here is only 4 1/4" aluminum. 4 1/2" azusa shoes should work in the stock plate though, for fairlanes bike though.

The Azuza should work, but you'll probably have to weld a tab on the inside of the swingarm for the slot on the brake plate. The original has a half pipe that straddles the swingarm to keep it from spinning. I'm going to order the Asuza brake shoes, if they're exactly like my old ones you should be good.
I'll let you know.
View attachment 11976

View attachment 11977

Thanks for the pics fairlane, I think I might have an idea of how to effectively use an azusa brake. You got a good deal on that bike, did you pay the full price or did you get it for less? Heck, the engine and TAV alone are worth well over what he was asking.