Why doesnt anyone run nitrous

I havent seen one person run nitrous on a clone why not. you could put a rod and piston,valve springs,and flywheel and make a lot of power so has anyone tried it? ive had this 1 pound NOS bottle full for like a year now and im really wanting to put in on my mini but would like to hear what u guys have to say. thanks

Clones are junk.... One pound of Nitrous will blow the rod through the oil pan..... Ask Minidragbike... He will set ya right if you are dying to die... :shrug:

Nitrous works GOOD on a good motor...... Chinese wanna be garbage???? :shrug: I would hate to find out under neath MY bean-bag... :shrug:

TRK is right! A clone with nitrous is a dangerous combo even with billet stuff, it burns so hot it'll melt right through a stock aluminum piston! That's why racers run forged pistons. A highly modded clone will carry you along fine, the nitrous you referred to on another thread is just a cheap plate that fits the pocket bike engines and uses a whippit cartridge! Not reccomended! Someone had mentioned it and I thought it was you...................

Last edited:
you could run a 2.5hp shot or a 5hp shot and make really good power the only thing i see as a problem is you would have to run a fuel pump so you could run a wet shot to be safe.

I didnt make another thread

I don't think most minis handle well enough to handle the burst of power if the engine did hold together.
A fine point! My DB gets light in the front with some throttle on a stock governed 6.5! I have had a racing kart 5.5 Intec on it with no governer and went 45mph, it was sketchy even with the turf savers which have a good patch @ reccomended PSI! I might consider nitrous on a purpose built machine, with an engine to match! But short of that I would not!

I don't think most minis handle well enough to handle the burst of power if the engine did hold together.
thats why mine has 20 inch wheels........... and I was 3 sheets (14 pack) into the wind, before i came home tonight on a bike with FOUR breaks in the FRAME.... :eek:hmy:....... SCARY ones... :eek:hmy: and it got me home again..:shrug:.... thousands of miles on it.. and if it EVER left me stranded, I'd scrap the piece of crap....:shrug:

I use mine as a car..... :shrug: and I expect every single run to be flawless.... :shrug:

PS...... Old Sleds..... Yes they do run Nitrous on briggs and Honda small engines and they will literally blow your doors off..... some guy with a bunch of dollars and NO sense will piss away millions of dollars just to see how fast a briggs will go...... Turns out they run like a mother fcker.......

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Just get an engine with more displacement, that way not much money is spent and it goes fast just by turning the throttle without all the fuss. Useing nitrous to make HP is sorta like relying on a fickle woman. You might get it sometimes with a lot of trouble, or maybe you won't. Not worth screwing with even on a vehicle that already has a fuel pump and an electrical system to make it easier to set up.

I havent seen one person run nitrous on a clone why not. you could put a rod and piston,valve springs,and flywheel and make a lot of power so has anyone tried it? ive had this 1 pound NOS bottle full for like a year now and im really wanting to put in on my mini but would like to hear what u guys have to say. thanks
Only one way to find out....

The handling issue is a great point. There are guys doing it, but as said previously, the clone responds so well to upgrades, you really do not need it. I think you could get 2-5 more hp out of the clone cheaper that installing an electrical system, pump, and kit.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
There is a guy on 4cycle name 9lence, he had a clone with a 20hp nitrous kit. He says e knows how to do it, and has done a few motors. There is also another guy here name Perez something. But he doesn't come on much. But anyway 9lence ended up blowing the block apart, but he said it made plenty of power.

We chat on facebook almost daily.

65ShelbyClone

The thing with nitrous is that it is limited by the volumetric intake of the engine. It's not realistic to put a 20hp shot on a 6.5hp engine and expect it make 26.5hp. What happens is the expanding N2O will completely displace the intake air so the engine is sucking in pure N2O. If the nitrous is injected after the carb, then airflow through the carb will stop as well.

That's partly why I like forced induction. If it doesn't make enough power, turn up the boost until it does. That still leaves the option of adding nitrous too. :biggrin:

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The thing with nitrous is that it is limited by the volumetric intake of the engine. It's not realistic to put a 20hp shot on a 6.5hp engine and expect it make 26.5hp. What happens is the expanding N2O will completely displace the intake air so the engine is sucking in pure N2O. If the nitrous is injected after the carb, then airflow through the carb will stop as well.

That's partly why I like forced induction. If it doesn't make enough power, turn up the boost until it does. That still leaves the option of adding nitrous too. :biggrin:
He says he has a 31hp briggs 305, and with his 20hp kit it makes 51hp. I said I don't think so, but have never tested it myself to know for sure. They are waiting for me to log back on so they can start with the IM's again.

65ShelbyClone

If that's truly the case, then the engine is breathing well enough to use the 20 shot. I was just making the point that it's not infinite as some may think; adding a 100 shot to the same engine won't make it produce 131hp if it can't use all the gaseous nitrous volume. In a nutshell, the more power an engine makes on its own, the more power it can make on nitrous. The same principle also applies to forced induction for the most part. (I know you know that, I'm just saying it for anyone that doesn't)

Oldsalt

MDB
So the motor has 1.6 ><HP per cubic inch and then gets ><2.7 HP per cubic inch on nitrous........I have long suspected there's something mystical in some folks' dyno rooms. I kinda get the notion you ain't buying it ether. There seems to be several things that some feel it's OK to lie about: Their sex life. Their gas milage on the family car. And the HP produced by some toy. I am a little more inclined to believe engine performance numbers if some torque/RPM numbers also accompany the HP number. Never seems to happen.

cxbra

I personally have been highly against nitrous since its inception into sport compact cars. Its just too risky, all it takes is a light lean spot in your fuel curve to melt your engine. I'd be especially worried about the exhaust valve burning.

Remember, that short burst is just that.. a short burst. Our carbs arent equipped to deal w/ a change of TWICE the flow over a split second interval (the carb would have to keep up w/ the nitrous' flow). Now maybe if you had a stand-alone carb that only worked for the nitrous, I think it could be done cleanly!

A lot of car racers run direct intake injection (not directly to the cylinder, but to the intake) using an extra fuel injector in the intake pipe. Thats where I got the idea from. But I think it cant be done on a single carb, possibly done w/ a secondary carb JUST for the nitrous...

65ShelbyClone

That's the idea behind running a wet shot; the nitrous system supplies the extra fuel in its own so nothing needs to be done to the carburetor.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Yeah he says he's running a wet shot. But I still don't believe it. Ad he even says he can beat me. i told him just bring it anytime he can come down here. I will beat his 51hp with my 40hp.

65shelby, your talking about the V.E. of his motor. If he only has 65% V.E. then just adding nitrous isn't gonna make it go up. But it does mix with what your taking in. If he has a 20hp shot then at most he can take in is only 12hp worth. And that's if he has this combo completely dialed in.

His motor at 342cc is 21C.I. 31hp divided by 21 is 1.48hp per C.I. That's OK, but not really all that good in the V.E. category. But I guess that you have to build them mild if your planning on using nitrous in it.

65ShelbyClone

I wasn't speaking to volumetric efficiency and I didn't say that nitrous would effect VE. We can only make educated guesses at VE unless it is measured directly on a dyno. VE also does not dictate what percentage of a nitrous shot can be ingested by the engine. It's a whole lot more math and chemistry than I feel like slogging through at the moment. :eek:ut: