WrenchDad's vintage class Drover Do-over

Yep I tried a Briggs 5hp in mine and it wouldnt fit. I am sure a 3.5hp Briggs would have , but I had a h30 Tecumseh that fit fine. The HS should be the same dimensions. Mr Grafic had a clone on his

WrenchDad

Yep I tried a Briggs 5hp in mine and it wouldnt fit. I am sure a 3.5hp Briggs would have , but I had a h30 Tecumseh that fit fine. The HS should be the same dimensions. Mr Grafic had a clone on his

yeah I'll take another look once I get the rear wheel on But I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go with the small Briggs I have. Those frames are a lot smaller in person than they look in pictures.
I thought about cutting the back tubes and stretching it upwith some solid stock inside some Schedule 40 1/2" but I really dont want to compromise the tube strength(or originality)

WrenchDad

Guys The small Briggs I have in the picture had the following numbers on the shroud
in this order 61102 940573 6003210 I dont know what they mean. Can anyone tell me what they stand for ( year ,Hp ) It has the tall round horse hair air filter on it , It's just not on in the picture.

Thanks in advance for the help

WrenchDad

well I made some progress so I thought I'd give an up date
with some pictures.
Got the wheels painted and put back together. Finally got some pipe bent and welded onto the plates to make the bars/forks, I cut out a couple of pieces from the old bars to weld on as axle mounts. I did a mock up to see how it looks. Still need to finish the seat and get the front fender mounted and paint the bars. I'm going to repaint the engine too once I mount the tank back on

Here is a pic of my project with a 5hp briggs crammed in...
I had to notch the frame. I'll shoot a pic tomorrow and post it. Maybe not so much clutter in the background next time, sorry.

WrenchDad

I'll use the 2 horse now because it's what I have available but I may put the big block 4hp in later. I dont want to modify the frame at this point. I still have more to do just to meet the dead line of the build, so I dont want to bite off more than I can chew by messing with the frame.
I do like your hand brake.

WrenchDad

OK Last day of the build off last hour to post. As of yesterday at 9pm I still couldnt get the 2 horse running The problems started a month and a half ago when I found out my 4HP wouldnt fit. At that point my forks/bars werent done yet. I got my forks made about two weeks ago and was ready to put in my back up motor the 2HP Briggs.I fought that until last night, I came in to pull my entry.Something in me said dont give up so I went back out side and pulled the 4hp small block from my Bird Thunderbird. I set it on the Drover and got the chain ready ( I had to add a couple links to the original Drover chain)

I got home from work today (5pm) and started bolting it up. put on the shocks, had to find a gas tank, put on the throttle,had to throw the seat on and grab some pictures.

I have pictures of him riding it I dont know how to do the video thing.

SO I slapped it all together so as to not default out of the buil off. The tank is just some thing to use for the borrowed engine (not even cleaned I didnt have time). The seat isnt re-done but it's all I had at the moment. The whole thing looks sloppy but like I said I did what I could to finish so I did'nt default. On the up side it runs good and fits me fairly well
Fits the boy pretty good also. Now the pictures.

Ps. I'm not as fat as I look in that picture. I'm sitting forward because the seat mount is rotted on the inside and I didnt want it to break loose.

Last edited:

WrenchDad

Thanks Buck, your right I got frustrated and I feel bad because it could have been so much nicer. I'll get it set up right over the next few weeks. I do like the way it rides.