WrenchDad's vintage class Drover Do-over

lookin good. if your shroud doesn't come out decent i may have one.i'll have to look
not sure if the one i have is a small or big block tec

WrenchDad

Thanks Yoop
The shroud should repair OK but if not I'll let give you a yell. I should be able to get it done this week end. I can tell ya what I do need is..... the bowl and the brass bolt stem to hold it onto the carb. If any one has a spare let me know.

Thanks
Kirk

WrenchDad

OK, Made a little progess since taking the wheels and motor apart. cleaned the motor up and put it back together It will fire ( a little starter fluid to make sure I had spark). I still have to assemble the carb and make an exaust.Did some body work on the shroud and put a coat of paint on it. I still need to do a little smooth putty work to cover some of the pitting, but I wanted to throw a coat on it and do a mock up so I could see how it looks. same with the wheels. I'm having some work done on the sprocket and I'm waiting to get it back before I finish the wheels. I'm working on the forks and bars also, I have them cut up so I can drill out the old pipe and reuse the plates. I'm going to cut the fender off of the forks and reuse it after I make new bars.
Once I get all the fab work done I'll finish coat every thing and put it back together. still got a ways to go but It's moving forward. Pics. of the progress.

WrenchDad

Well not much of an update, I'm kind of at a stand still until I get my forks done. Idid get the motor back together but I'm having trouble getting it running. It will fire but wont catch and run . I think the timing is off and I dont know weather I need to advance it or retard it. I can set points but I'm not experianced with timing.
I got the plates from the forks cut off the old ones and cleaned up and will start bending (hopefully on Monday). I'm also waiting for the work on my sprocket and scrub break to get finished. then I can go ahead with the assembly of the wheels. I got the rear shocks all cleaned up and ready to put on but I'm still working on the seat too_Once I can get working on it again It should go pretty Quick. I'll post some pics when I get something done worth seeing.

WrenchDad

Idid get the motor back together but I'm having trouble getting it running. It will fire but wont catch and run . I think the timing is off and I dont know weather I need to advance it or retard it. I can set points but I'm not experianced with timing.

I had some time yesterday and a break in the weather so I looked in to the engine issue. I reset the coil to center and checked the points and I noticed the points did'nt look right. The gap was OK but they were miss aligned.
When I loosened the machine screw that adjust the stationary piece I saw it move up, When I got a couple more turns I found the screw was stripped. So the points were not secure at all. I re-tapped the hole and put a new screw in it. I put it backtogether and it fired up and ran. I made a few carb adjustments and it was fine. Now I can button it up an get it ready for install.

Nice Work! You called the engine a HS-40 that motor is a H-40 or bigger and it is a big block Tecumseh. Hs motors are small blocks. Keep up the good work everything is looking great so far.

WrenchDad

Tecumseh made H-40 big block motors hard to find.

Tecumseh Parts Lists Tecumseh Engines Parts lists
Your right H-40 off of a Ariens snowblower. I didnt have the ID plate handy and I tried to go off memory. My son took a picture of the motor on his IPOD and he got a shot of the ID plate, He zoomed in and I could read the model number and thats what it started with H-40

whole number H-40 55046F

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

WrenchDad

Ok made some good progress, Got my sprocket back with the holes cut in so you can see the wheel behind it. Now I can get my wheels back together. Got the frame all cleaned up and ready for paint. I'm still in the process of getting the bars done. I needed a new muffler and found the chrome bent one today for $2.00 at the flea market. I was pretty happy about that. I threw the frame up on the bench and set the engine in just to check the fit. I think I'm F--ked, That H-40 is way to big. I forgot about the angled frame. It WILL NOT bolt on to the original plate set up. If I can Modify something It may go, possibly center it and drill new holes. But If I hit some thing and slide forward I'm going to have a " SACTASTROPHY" I'll have to get the back wheel on and see if I have enough shaft to line up the clutch (The pulley on there is just left overs) If I move it back and center it. I dont want to drill the plate but I'd love to use that Tec 4hp.

Option 2.... Small BS, Thats an old one with the horse hair oil filled air filter (I'll probably have to put a flat breather on it instead.) I dont even know what HP it is but it looks small. I can post the numbers if some one knows how to read them.

The 4HP tec is Running the Briggs isnt (at the moment but does run ) I'm running out of time what do you guys think any suggestions?

Its gonna be tough to make that work by the looks of it. sometimes you can tell the size of the briggs by the number on the head between the fins. if its a 6 or 8 its a 2hp or 3.5hp but sometimes there are no marks. you can also measure the stroke to tell the size. just stick a screwdriver down the spark plug hole and see how far it goes up and down. I forget the specs but im sure they are on this site somewhere

WrenchDad

Thanks Jeep I'll try that ( the screw driver trick ) I'll google the numbers on the shroud also. I know one of those is the HP but I dont remember which one. I was real excited to use that exhaust I found I guess I'll get every thing together and see what I got.

WrenchDad

What is the height of the frame where it bends down in the back, and how much space between the down tubes do you have?
What are you thinking?

I added a picture with some measurements. I would have to center the motor to clear the frame with the plug. Plus with the shroud on it will stick out to the edge of the foot pegs. I value your guys opinion so if you have any suggestions to make it work let me know. If you think I should do some thing else let me know that too.