Xr650l

I picked this up yesterday. I have been looking for one for a couple of years.
All the ones that seem to come up for sale at a descent price have big miles on them 10k to 16k.
If not they want big bucks. I saw this one on C/L with a very good price and as you can see very low miles.
The story I got from the lady, it was her Grandpa’s He bought it new in 2007 and rode it twice but it was too big for him so it sat in the garage they even kept the registration current. A little cleaning and it is a brand new bike for almost a third the price of a new one. I rode it around yesterday and love it.

I had I believe it was an 82 xl 500r. Rode that bike everywhere. Was hard to start for me at 155lbs! No electric start....just kick over to TDC and then romp on it! Had to commit to it or it would kick ya over the bars! :laugh: I miss it!!

catfishman

great deal, i wanted to get an enduro, just to ride back and forth to work, its only 4.5 miles one way, no highways. if i didnt have this stupid sciatic nerve pain i would deffinately get one. probably just a 250xl or yamaha xt250

Yes Steve that's what I bought it for to ride to work occasionally and put around town and maybe a camping trip here and there.
In the past I had an older XL600 Honda and last I had an older XT600 Yamaha,
both were great bikes but both were kick start only. When that Honda got hot it was a real bitch to start.
The Yamaha wasn't as bad. When I ride on the street I like to split traffic at red lights. Nothing is worse
than to have that thing pop and die on you when the light turns green. The people here in Calif. are already pissed
that you got in front of them and they wont give you a break if that happens your just stuck till someone stops and you can get it to safety and get it started.
You don't have that problem with the electric start. If it dies you can usually hit the starter and still beat them off the line.
I really like ridding a Dual Sport bike on the street. I have had a Harley in the past but I enjoy these bikes much more. (Don't hate me Harley guys)
I have always rode Dirt Bikes and feel much safer on a Dual Sport, for me they are much easy to maneuver and if need the 650 has plenty of power to get out of the way if you have to and they wheelie very easy. I was never able to get the front in up on the Harley and ride it down the street, it would do some mean burn outs but no wheelies.

toomanytoys

I really want a street and trail bike. Badly..

Been looking for a BMW G650. In stock form they are more street than trail, but I want that. I run into the same thing, high miles, or low miles and stupid price. You can buy them for 6500 new. People have 3 year old ones with 8k miles and want 5000.00

toomanytoys

Now thats a sweet bike!!! You can get that for 6500 new? The Honda can be over 8k
I would rather have the BMW
Looks like the price climbed to 7500 AVG now, Last summer it was 6500....Darn inflation. It's on par with the XR650 price. I would buy a BMW over the XR if I was going to buy a new one.

Cheapest I found was a 2009 for 4100 dollars with 4k miles on it. I should of bought it!

I am also in love with this! Dual sport triumph!

...I have always rode Dirt Bikes and feel much safer on a Dual Sport, for me they are much easy to maneuver and if need the 650 has plenty of power to get out of the way if you have to and they wheelie very easy. I was never able to get the front in up on the Harley and ride it down the street, it would do some mean burn outs but no wheelies.
Dual sport bikes are a blast. There's something about having a license plate on your dirt bike that makes you feel like you're getting away with something. I've got an '02 Suzuki DRZ 400 and an '06 KTM 450 EXC. They're both really just modified dirt bikes, but as street legal as they need to be. They also have bigger fuel tanks than stock, and some other minor mods. I've ridden them on tight trails through deep forests in the Pacific Northwest, and in the deserts of Oregon, Utah, California and Nevada. Both have been ridden on interstate freeways. I rode the KTM down Las Vegas Boulevard after coming across the Mojave Desert from Barstow, Calif. The Suzuki carried me off road across Death Valley, and then my kid used it to commute to work for several months while his street bike was broken. They just go anywhere. I've also got an '09 Yamaha XT250. It is not very capable off road, but fun as heck around town. :thumbsup:

Dual sport bikes are a blast. There's something about having a license plate on your dirt bike that makes you feel like you're getting away with something. I've got an '02 Suzuki DRZ 400 and an '06 KTM 450 EXC. They're both really just modified dirt bikes, but as street legal as they need to be. They also have bigger fuel tanks than stock, and some other minor mods. I've ridden them on tight trails through deep forests in the Pacific Northwest, and in the deserts of Oregon, Utah, California and Nevada. Both have been ridden on interstate freeways. I rode the KTM down Las Vegas Boulevard after coming across the Mojave Desert from Barstow, Calif. The Suzuki carried me off road across Death Valley, and then my kid used it to commute to work for several months while his street bike was broken. They just go anywhere. I've also got an '09 Yamaha XT250. It is not very capable off road, but fun as heck around town. :thumbsup:

KTM's are nice, I have a lot of friends that ride them.