2016 Windber rides

Although I cant add to the thread I just wanted to comment on Roberts porch floor. I love them when they are done like that and you just cant find anybody around here that can still do them. ....

I had to look at it again I thought it was carpet or linoleum the first time. I have never seen a floor like that must be a "southern thing".

Are they broken pieces of terra cotta tile ?

Last edited:
Although I cant add to the thread I just wanted to comment on Roberts porch floor. I love them when they are done like that and you just cant find anybody around here that can still do them. I too have a CAT 250X but sadly at 6'2" Its a tad small....
Thank you Fomogo ! We love it too, the screened in porch has it, and the front porch does too.

I had to look at it again I thought it was carpet or linoleum the first time. I have never seen a floor like that must be a "southern thing".

Are they broken pieces of terra cotta tile ?
Yes, Gerry, exactly...broken pieces of terra cotta tile....they call it a "broken tile" floor.

I'm sure at one point it was done out of frugality...but it became so popular around here (just outside Charlotte) in the 50's and 60's, that they would literally start with whole pieces of tile and break them, then figure out how they wanted to lay them. It's neat how they did it though, because it is as level and flat as if it were 4x4 or 6x6 whole tiles.

Last edited:
Thank you Fomogo ! We love it too, the screened in porch has it, and the front porch does too.

Yes, Gerry, exactly...broken pieces of terra cotta tile....they call it a "broken tile" floor.

I'm sure at one point it was done out of frugality...but it became so popular around here (just outside Charlotte) in the 50's and 60's, that they would literally start with whole pieces of tile and break them, then figure out how they wanted to lay them. It's neat how they did it though, because it is as level and flat as if it were 4x4 or 6x6 whole tiles.
That is really cool...now I want one!