1946 Doodle Bug [Hiawatha...not the China Junk]

Oldsalt

:) not 'if' you get pulled over?
The Police Dept. in this small town seem to be laboring under the misapprehension they are rightly a capitol generating division of local government. Last week a friend was pulled over for not having his rear fender low enough on the back side. He kindly asked the officer if he was prepared to pull over EVERY crotch rocket that he sees as the obvious fact is that none of them have much below the seat that could be called fender. The reply, whilst he was writing, was some mumbling about a smart ass that doesn't know anything. I will be pulled over.

Oldsalt

Now for the seat. Marc was kind enough to send me a proper seat board that was duplicated from his original. When the bike was picked up in California my friend threw in a set of seat springs that are obviously off a box Cushman. They were too wide and not long enough as the first picture shows. But if one row of springs were taken off the side and added to the length everything would [sorta] work out as both configuration require 12 coils. The second pic is the spring set tore apart and the rim wire straightened out so that the individual coils could be re-organized and the wire bent to fit the Doodle Bug seat. The next shows the reorganization and re-bent side wires with some of the necessary spring wiring done. Last pic is the spring assembly with thick felt hog ringed on. Next will be two layers of hog ringed burlap then some batting before the cover is sewed. The cover is the hard part because that requires some skill which I don't have. I'll try, but if it is too awful it will go to a professional.

This is absolutely the last thing that has to be made for the bike,,,unless something crops up at the first ride.

Now for the seat.....

This is absolutely the last thing that has to be made for the bike,,,unless something crops up at the first ride.
A couple weeks ago I had to visit the local upholsterer on business, I took along my seat board and asked if he could knock up a foam rubber deal with white vinyl. We looked through his stock and I believe what we found is as near as I'm going to get on a 'walk-in' basis (pretty darn close I think judging by the crusty remnants that were left on the original) although I believe Don Jackson has a lead on the real thing.
My thinking was I'd get the cover and a usable seat, cut a new board and take my time with the springs that I restored off the original eventually swapping the cover out.
Well things got busy there and I still don't have my seat!
The original I have had 6 springs, 3 1/2" diameter top and bottom 3" height.
What is slowing me down for lack of time and tools is the way they were mounted. They had about a 3/8" folded steel strip (3/4" flattened I'm guessing, badly corroded..) that ran along the outside and inside of each set of three springs that captured the bottom coil and was crimped at each coil, then that metal strip was nailed to the board with U-nails between the springs.
The first pic shows them after I had detached them (I do have a pic somewhere of the seat intact) the second is a layout on the new board but without the 'crimp rails' (I still have to make them) the third pic shows them originally not from a good angle but may help with the general idea.
Now, all that said I looked at the 6 springs and had concerns for my health which was the original instigation for the foam, even though I will restore the sprung version with all the original fixtures in the course of opportunity.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

As time is my problem. Production of real things now being strongly advised by my eldest son. I know that three weeks is the probable minimum turn around time if I take it to a shop. In the the car world it's commonly known as 'upholstery jail', indeterminate sentencing and there is never any bail or writ of habius corpus available.

Thanks for the pics. I see your springs are not only 1/2 inch or so bigger in diameter, but made of heavier spring wire. Mine are happily 3" tall. Everything was very rusty but nothing was broke. My spring assembly will be attached with little clips screwed to the board on the side wire....I think. The reason for the choice of materials is simple. I have the thick felt and burlap cloth and batting on hand. Had to buy some vinyl and hog rings.

Oldsalt

Finished the seat today. Not the best you've seen but it only cost 15 bucks for the vinyl as all the other materials were on hand except hog rings. The bike is now finished other than painting the background on the Hiawatha badge and mounting it and the serial plate. Hopefully tomorrow it will make it through it's shake-down run without any mechanical issues. Gotta put it on my motorcycle insurance policy and provide a pocket under the sat to carry the Registration papers.

The first pic shows the completed bike. The second shows what was there when the project was started. It was was given to me by a friend in Fresno. The parts shown in that pic are the only original parts. The engine was given to me by a friend; although not an original engine it was free. The tires and rims are left-over pieces from a experimentation/development of foam filled tires. The seat board was provided by Marc, the sheet metal drive guard, the entire drive assembly was hand made. The headlight is an old back-up light. The tail light and reflector are altered truck parts. There is very little that is genuine Hiawatha but it will fool some folks I'm thinking.

TomH

I think I would have the most fun on that when I would drive by eldest's son's office on my break. When he looks out the window, I would give him my goofiest smile and a thumbs up. I believe you can out run him when he comes after you:scooter:

Oldsalt

Was going to fire it up today and do a shake-down but a 5 year old that is sorta a granddaughter finally decided a go-kart that has been saved back for her is not all that scary. So it was taken down off the wall and serviced. She will try it out tomorrow, as will I with the Hiawatha

Oldsalt

Few days ago rode it around the block a couple of times on a shake-down cruse. The throttle lever on the carb loosened up was all that happened bad. It seems to be capable of 15 MPH so I'm happy. Have been working on production things and have not had time to ride it again. We are suppose to have increasingly worse weather for the next week so I'm just going to wait and see.

Few days ago rode it around the block a couple of times on a shake-down cruse. The throttle lever on the carb loosened up was all that happened bad. It seems to be capable of 15 MPH so I'm happy. Have been working on production things and have not had time to ride it again. We are suppose to have increasingly worse weather for the next week so I'm just going to wait and see.
I'm thinking it was an expensive kids bike in the day, my 8 year old sat on mine today and it fits him perfectly, even though we didn't have the seat (still in upholstery jail, now where did I hear that term? :).
15 mph is probably about as fast as the brake can handle I think, since I got mine hooked up, so if it ever gets to that speed I'll be happy!
I machined a new brass cable widget thing for my throttle side handle today, scary stuff, I have had no real experience with a lathe since 9th grade and back then I was given 6 strokes of the 'cane' (a 36" x 3/8" bamboo switch) across my right hand for leaving the key in the chuck when I turned the thing on, but it worked out great and is currently installed!
Apart from the clutch, belt and chain, I'm almost ready to fire it up!

Oldsalt

I went to Fat Cat's Saloon today on the Hiawatha. The weather was OK and had a little time. She will do about 15 at full song. I have another jack shaft sprocket with one more tooth and will change to it. The 'take-off' is adequate even with the 1-1/2 HP motor. Felt really funny riding what amounts to a minibike on the street. No trouble on the road across town but I did take mostly side streets. Rode around the police station two laps...nothing. They didn't notice or merely thought they were having hallucinations. Limited myself [as always when riding a two wheeler] to two beers and rode home down Main St.. By then I was getting used to being stared at and comfortable that the thing would not quit on me [and the two beers also had an effect]. Didn't see any law; just people staring at the crazy old man on scooter everywhere I went. Already I love riding that Hiawatha! All systems worked and nothing fell off. The attached pics are what it looks like with the white strips put on the side panels. Going to change the tires and the jack shaft sprocket, other than that there is nothing left to do but ride.