1963 Briggs 3hp flathead

Picked this up last week to put in my 1969 Lil Indian. It's probably going to need a carb and gas tank but the block turns over smooth, has good spark and the tins aren't too bad.
Model # is 80102 and it was built in 63.

If anyone has a carb and tank for this let me know I might be interested, the ones the guy had are pretty beat.

Paid $15 for it.

oldfatguy

I think that carb was used on a 2.5 hp 60000 series engine . you won't know which block you have until you measure the bore and stroke to find out if it's a 2 hp or 3 hp engine The engine covers get swapped so much that you sometimes can't depend on it matching the block but the 80000 series should be a 3hp. Either way, you got a good deal at 15 bucks for a complete briggs engine. I have a 3hp briggs on my Arco, it runs great and usually starts on the first pull.

george3

Picked this up last week to put in my 1969 Lil Indian. It's probably going to need a carb and gas tank but the block turns over smooth, has good spark and the tins aren't too bad.
Model # is 80102 and it was built in 63.

If anyone has a carb and tank for this let me know I might be interested, the ones the guy had are pretty beat.

Paid $15 for it.

Its a 2HP

How can you tell george3? I can measure the bore easy enough now that i got the head off, but how do i got about measuring the stroke?

He can't he's crazy... :laugh:

Usually the briggs flatheads ALSO HAVE the cubic inches stamped in the head.. like far back forward corner there will be a 6 or 8 or 6D or some goofy crap... the number is the cubic inches.. any letter after it would = runs on kerosene or something along those lines...

Real good chance if you take out the PCV the valve pocket has a 6 or 8 cast into the engine block too..

WrenchDad

I have a 1960 2HP (in the Picture) It's functional but I couldnt get it to start and run right
I have the tank and its clean the fuel mix needle valve is all jacked up someone enlarged the hole and tried to put a bigger needle valve in it. but there is nothing to those so if yours is clean it should work. Any way If you can use any thing or want something let me know.

oldfatguy

How can you tell george3? I can measure the bore easy enough now that i got the head off, but how do i got about measuring the stroke?
to measure the stroke , all you do is with the piston all the way down in the bore measure from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder.

oldfatguy

60000 series 2hp has a 1.5 inch stroke and the 80000 series 3hp has a 1.75 inch stroke. according to the spec sheet that I have they both have the same bore size or piston size.

with the piston all the way down, measure from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder

60000 series 2hp has a 1.5 inch stroke and the 80000 series 3hp has a 1.75 inch stroke. according to the spec sheet that I have they both have the same bore size or piston size.

with the piston all the way down, measure from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder

I measured the bore @ 2-3/8" and the stroke @ 1-3/4". So that should confirm it at a 3hp.

Thanks oldfatguy!!!

Last edited:

Bugar

I have a 80202, measured stroke and it's a 3 hp, runs great, has governor missing probly been lost bout 30 yr ago, good compression, propels me at near 31 mph geared 13 - 72, great little engine, cruise good at around 20-23 mph, just had to give it some TLC, and cleaning, starts first time ever time:scooter:

I have a 80202, measured stroke and it's a 3 hp, runs great, has governor missing probly been lost bout 30 yr ago, good compression, propels me at near 31 mph geared 13 - 72, great little engine, cruise good at around 20-23 mph, just had to give it some TLC, and cleaning, starts first time ever time:scooter:
I'm kind of hoping for the same with this one. I'll be patient in my quest for a carb and tank and hopefully get it running. I have it torn down for the most part now to clean up and paint. It will be going on a 1969 Lil Indian i'm restoring for my sons.