1973 Keystone Deluxe...Redo

Those of you who followed last winters OldMiniBikes build off may remember my stretched, metal flake green Keystone. The summer was hard on the Keystone, motors were swapped and paint was wore off, and now I am taking it back to the basics, closer to stock configuration. :thumbsup: I wanna go back to how it was here (minus the clone) before I had the dumb ass idea to stretch it. :doah:

I am waiting for Don (Bayareaburrito) to get back because he has a bonanza swingarm that I can buy from him. :deal: The long swingarm gave it the same wheelbase as a stock DB30, but caused chain issues. :doah:

I am calling this my "Hot Rod Keystone" because it is very small frame and with a little power it is insane (as I found out when I put a clone in it).
"It's got a clone motor and its really souped up
And that Keystone chassis makes it look like a pup
It's got 1 cylinder, and really hauls
It's got a max torque clutch, and just won't stall"
:laugh:

Right now I am trying to decide between a 5hp Briggs flathead with a Tecumseh carb and manifold and a frame mounted tank. :shrug:

OR

The 3.5hp Honda GX110, and just paint the shround up and use a frame mounted tank. :shrug:

What do you guys think? :shrug:

Also I am ordering some goodies from OldMiniBikes Warehouse on Monday, one of these goodies is front and back 5-spoke Azusa rims with new tires to give it a old skool look. :pimp:

Anyway, I started tearing it down this moring on my new bike table and here is where I'm at...

Before any more work is done I have to cleen up my work bench, it is a mess to say the least. :doah:

Clayon your going to have the threads worn out on the bolts , you have had that apart so many times lol :laugh:
Keep on building until you get it the way you want it!

Thanks guys. Progress may be a bit slow off the start but once I get all the parts it will speed up. I am gonna post some pics of different frame mount tanks I could use soon. :thumbsup:

yeah keep tearing that thing up and putting it back together!!! :hammer:..... :scooter:.... :hack:.... :scooter:

You're making memories....don't ever sell it ..you will regret it when you get old like me :wink:

Thanks guys. :thumbsup: and don't worry Gerry, I can't sell any of my mini-bikes no matter how much my dad tries to get me to "make more space" as he says. :laugh: Anyway I didn't get no more done today, but tomorrow I will get back at it. I decided that the 5hp will probly go in it though, because nothing says old skool hot rod like a flathead (remember say no to vavle covers) :thumbsup:

Yooper, my friend's dad has an orginal survivor Keystone like mine, and it has a 3hp Briggs with a float bowl carb and the tank is mounted on the other side of the engine towards the neck and fork.

I will also be posting some pics of different frame mount tanks in different spots on the bike so you can help me decide what one to use. :thumbsup:

Clay.....

I've read your thread :thumbsup: you are not a "Dumb A.." as you call yourself. You are a young man that has a idea in his mind and carries it out to the end, until you have a finished product :thumbsup: Be it right or wrong :shrug: Clay, you carried the thought process out until the material object was made/done :thumbsup: We all learn from our mistakes Clay.... I know I have :mad2::mad2::mad2: in my years of building cars and whatever else come's my way :shrug:

Look at your bike and it's modifide swing arm (like I have) and figure out where you went wrong with it's design? Could it be attachment points.....Could it be the selection of materials used or lack of? You mentioned that you had chain issues :shrug: Maybe the STRENGTH of the long swing arm gave into the engine's torque once it was put into motion..... Thus causing way too much flexing. :shrug: I'm not beating on you here Clay..... I'm applauding you :thumbsup: too carry on! Keep thinking and apply your thoughts until a material object appears that you are happy with..... No matter what it is :thumbsup:

BC1500 DAVE :thumbsup:

Clay.....

I've read your thread :thumbsup: you are not a "Dumb A.." as you call yourself. You are a young man that has a idea in his mind and carries it out to the end, until you have a finished product :thumbsup: Be it right or wrong :shrug: Clay, you carried the thought process out until the material object was made/done :thumbsup: We all learn from our mistakes Clay.... I know I have :mad2::mad2::mad2: in my years of building cars and whatever else come's my way :shrug:

Look at your bike and it's modifide swing arm (like I have) and figure out where you went wrong with it's design? Could it be attachment points.....Could it be the selection of materials used or lack of? You mentioned that you had chain issues :shrug: Maybe the STRENGTH of the long swing arm gave into the engine's torque once it was put into motion..... Thus causing way too much flexing. :shrug: I'm not beating on you here Clay..... I'm applauding you :thumbsup: too carry on! Keep thinking and apply your thoughts until a material object appears that you are happy with..... No matter what it is :thumbsup:

BC1500 DAVE :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave. :thumbsup:

Cool, it will be good to see her back.
Same color or ya goin " wwwiiilllddd"?
Well now that I have a piant gun I will probly use the duplicolor system primer, paint, then clear. I am thinking a mopar lime green for color. :shrug:

Well I never got much done today, me and my dad went riding this afternoon since it will probly be one of the last warm days before winter. I just took the bike apart a bit more and got some hardware ready to be polished. :thumbsup: Bad news though, the 5hp that I was going to use locked up on me today :censure: but when I had the 3.5hp honda on my DB30 it was clocked at 35mph (12 teeth on the clutch, 72 on the rear wheel) so I am pretty sure it will do fine on the Keystone since the wheelbase is shorter than the DB30.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Clay, I'd be happy to take that nice orange Briggs off your hands :laugh:

Hey I'm just doing my part to help you clean up that mess :shrug: :laugh:

Vic

Clay, I'd be happy to take that nice orange Briggs off your hands :laugh:

Hey I'm just doing my part to help you clean up that mess :shrug: :laugh:

Vic
:laugh: Ya I know it is a good running motor and it has the cast iron sleeved cylinder so it will last pretty good, but I'm hoping to find a bike for my sister to put it in. I am thinking since she likes plum crazy purple a hemi orange engine would kinda give it a mopar theme. :shrug:

Sorry, no pics today but I took the fork apart tonight and I will be starting polishing up hardware with the wire wheel tomorrow. I ordered my parts from OldMiniBikes today so hopefully next week they will be here. :thumbsup:

As for the paint I am thinking that the frame, forks, and swing arm with be mopar lime green. The engine shroud will also be like green, and the recoil will be painted white or silver as will the tank. I am hoping to make a number plate to bolt up front where it used to be, it will be painted white or silver and will have a custom decal on it.

Last edited:
Well no updates worth sharing today, I mostly just cleaned up my work area since it was a big mess. Then I brought the Keystone in to the house, set it on the coffee table, turned on the tv and started working on it until my mom came down and made me put it back in the shop because apparently houses aren't for minibikes. :shrug: :doah: