# 2016 Build Off " Vintage Open Class " Grand Prix

, I have had this Grand Prix sitting in the shed for years and it is one ugly :chinese::001_9898:....and I almost didn't do this build but by meeting a new neighbor and friend that has a Efenal mini bike fixed up and it looks pretty cool ! So I decided what tha heck, this old girl deserves a shot at looking some what better than it does now. So here goes .

GRAND PRIX

My hopes on building this bike is to find out a little more about them, where were they made China, Taiwan, U.S., Australia or Great Britain. If you have any literature on these bikes you are welcome to post it on this thread.

Here's what I found so far.
This one has rear drum brakes, and the name stamped on the rear shoes says " SWITONA"

The rear shocks where definitely made in Taiwan.

If you clean up the motor mounts it should say "YTM made in Taiwan" This is on mine 10" wheel model
Thanks for posting Randy....mine must be the cheaper version....nothing stamped in to mine. :no:

The ad for the bike looks cool, Eric. That beat up frame.... not so much..lol. I'm sure you'll get 'er done!!
Pat, I might have bit off more than I can chew....this old mini is RUFFFFFFFFFFF !

So the original color seems to have been red.

After cutting off some of the unwanted junk that people put on this frame...Its still ruff looking.

I fill a little better....but she's still ruff ! Hopefully some welding and more cleaning up tomorrow.

Thanks Bill....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
More cleaning on the frame today and welded up the holes in the old motor mount plates.

Then cleaned the welds up with the grinder, doesn't have to look real good as I will be adding a new stronger engine mount plate over top of this one.

Engine mount plate left over from another build was cut down to fit and will be welded in place.

Looks much better and should be a lot stronger than the original.

Just wanted to say " Thanks " to Bill, Pat and Hent for allowing this Vintage Open Class.... I love It ! :thumbsup:

I got the new engine mount finished up and welded in this morning.

I have decided to use the original rear wheel assembly because of the rear drum brake set up, but the rear sprocket is slap dab wore out. Did some measuring and decided to adapt a 2 piece racing sprocket. Original sprocket was a 60 tooth and I'm installing a new 62 tooth 2 piece sprocket.

Inside the wheel was pretty rusty so I wire brushed it and got the loose stuff off, then sprayed it down with this...rust killer.

Quick mock up of the wheel and tire assembled, tire is a 410x 350 - 5

New oil filled bearings.