2016 OldMiniBikes Build Off Pomfish's "The Blue Bomber" Manco 573 Just for Fun

pomfish

All right, Pomfish here showing up at the 11th hour:)

Do I have to have a picture of the engine I intend to use in the starting picture?
Because the one I want to use is buried deep, If I have to get it out, I will, since I have till midnight tonight, but would rather save that for another day.

Anyway here is the starting shots of the Manco 573 Cruiser, she is rough but mostly all there.
Big gaping engine bay needs figured out first.
Gave y'all a nice close up of the Snap-On Bimbo too!
Thanks,
Keith

Attachments

Thanks for joining! Since it is the JFF category, I would say your engine in the pic isn't absolutely necessary. I like to coffee cup!!! Good luck with your build.

pomfish

Update;

Still trying to figure some stuff out, but the good news is the 11 hp Tecumseh Big Big Block will fit the frame.
Not sure about the big seat. It is just sitting on top of the other one. If used it will be mounted further back and lower.

I want this bike to be big enough for me to comfortably ride it in the parade, so everything is going to be adjusted to do that.
Think this bike is going to be fun.

Quick question for the members, will the big torque of this engine pull the big 8 inch wheels without a converter?

I have a converter but do not want a wheel stander. Would rather gear for the street as the bike has no suspension so no way is it going to be used at Windber in the field :)
I will be using a jack shaft so gearing can be anything it needs to be.
All for now.
Thanks!

Keith

Attachments

pomfish

Monthly update.
Got a nice seat today with 5 inch Copper coated springs. Now need to fab up a plate for the springs to sit on.
Also got the jack shaft in but am not happy with the cheezy mounts. They are not even tall enough for the 18 tooth gear to clear.
Will be fabbing up some heavy duty mounts for this shaft.
Put new bearings in the back wheel, the old one on the sprocket side was rough and stuck. Had to smash it and then pound it out. Didn't hurt the hub though so all is good. I discovered my local mom and pop hardware store has really good bearings for $3.04 each. They are a little thicker so I had to shorten the pipe inside the hub. Anyway it worked out good.

My custom engine plate will be on next week but I wanted to get pictures up today.
Also found a fender in the barn that will work and has the look I want.
She is coming together. Need to get everything built, aligned, sorted out and then figure out the paint deal.
All for now, Happy Trails!
Keith

Attachments

pomfish

Sandblasted and Jack shaft installed

New update;
Here’s my progress on my Manco 573 Build.
Got a lot done in the last 2 days. My best friend works at a Train Car factory so he was able to make me some parts.
Got the engine plate mounted, frame sand blasted and new Jackshaft mounts installed today and sprockets mocked up.
The jackshaft mounts were welded after these pics were taken.
New frame gussets installed near seat and seat spring perches moved downward for more legroom.

I am sick and tired of being cramped on mini’s so for once I am making the bike fit me

Next up is Powder coating

Attachments