212 hemi cam recommendation?

Hey everyone, I am looking for recommendations and suggestions for a cam for my predator 212 hemi. The 212 is on my little "yard kart" that likes to think it is a race kart. Currently just has air filter/adapter, header, jet, 140 etube. I am about to order billet rod, valvesprings, gaskets etc to rebuild it and remove governer.

I pretty much have the whole "build" planned, other than exactly which cam I am going to go with.

I know I don't want a big cam, something kind of mild. I originally was just going to go with the mod2 because of all the youtube recomendations, AND because I liked the idea of stock lift with more duration to still make power up to 7k rpms. I don't think I want to rev past 7k rpms.

This is my first small engine build so mild is key, I don't want huge, but I think mod2 is just a tad too mild.

So which mild cam that fits a predator 212 hemi head would you suggest that has a little bit more lift than the mod2 and less or equal amount of duration the the mod 2? I want a little more lowend torque than a mod2 cam, but still want power up to 7k rpm like a mod2.

Discuss

I haven't finished putting it back together yet but I just removed my mod2 cam for a bsp4 on My hemi. My baja warrior just couldn't spin fast enough for the mod2 cam to shine. I'm also doing a mild porting and switching to the thin metal head gasket instead of the thicker stock one. I'm having a tough time installing 22lb springs so I'm sticking with 18's. Also replacing my rear sproket to a 60t hoping this combo will make some decent power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Davis

Honestly I’d just read around at old threads and get the info off of them as a few newbys are very misinformed on the subject.

I'm thinkin the CS grind "cheater cam" is a little more up my alley than the mod2 I originally thought I was going with.
A little more lift than the mod2, a little less duration than mod2 (both should equal more low rpm tq than mod2 I believe) and still has the same 7k rpm max as the mod2, just wanted others opinions on a good cam with a little more lift than a mod2, more low rpm tq than a mod2 and can still spin up to 7k rpm.

CS grind what I'm looking for?

CS Grind is a good choice , I love mine , if you go larger like say the 308 you really need head work to make it work and that can be costly with a Hemi head .

There was another (or 6) cam thread recently. The CS, CM and CL220 were the ones recommended over the overrated Mod2 cam.
Hardly anyone likes the Mod2 cam... Oh, the die hards who believe everything they read like it because they think it is best. Seems like the people in the know, know to stay away from it...

JMO
Danford1

There was another (or 6) cam thread recently. The CS, CM and CL220 were the ones recommended over the overrated Mod2 cam.
Hardly anyone likes the Mod2 cam... Oh, the die hards who believe everything they read like it because they think it is best. Seems like the people in the know, know to stay away from it...

JMO
Danford1
I was under the exact same thought process as you. When I was thinking up the build for my Greyhound, I originally planned on the piece of shite MOD2 (I've been watching too much "The Workshop"). Then I wanted the CL1. Now I am sure I want the CM and I might even advance the timing a few degrees if I need more torque.

Also, there is a difference between the CM ans the CS. The CM has about a 236* duration on the intake and exhaust while the CS has a 225* intake and 236* exhaust. Both the CM and CS have 0.265" lift, 108* ICL and 108* LS. Dynocams says you can use the stock bore carb for the CS grind only (but I guess that can be up for debate). The CL220 has a 0.244" lift, 220* duration, 105* ICL, and 108* LS.

EDIT: Some of of the cam info in my second paragraph was false. Please reread it now.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

The CS is a little beast off the line and it keeps pulling until it runs out of breath around 7000RPM. A little bump in compression, some light porting, and you will not be disappointed. Really, you can't lose with either of the 3 cams listed. The CM is my least favorite of the 3, but still a great cam. I just thought it felt a little lazy off the line compared to the CS. Does have just a little more top-end, but with the right gearing, the CS ain't gonna fall behind. The CL220 just seems to have a real linear power band. I'd say in between the other 2, but similar off the line to the CM, but doesn't seem to matter what RPM your at, it always seems to be in the sweet spot and revs to about 7500RPM like the CM.
Oh, and the CS is the only one that doesn't call for a bigger carb. The other 2 do...

Last edited:
Have you checked out the Isky Black Mamba Jr.? I’ve heard a lot of good reviews on it for a lower rpm cam. I’m currently building a hemi and that is the cam I have for it.

Why not look at a cam with a little more lift? You leaving power on the table without taking advantage of say a 275 lift cam. With 26lbs springs you can run that lift no problem.

Have you checked out the Isky Black Mamba Jr.? I’ve heard a lot of good reviews on it for a lower rpm cam. I’m currently building a hemi and that is the cam I have for it.

Why not look at a cam with a little more lift? You leaving power on the table without taking advantage of say a 275 lift cam. With 26lbs springs you can run that lift no problem.
I agree the Isky is a very good option but I want to make a point about lift. The CS and CM are 265's and the Iskys are obviously 275s. If you're running #26 springs you cannot use the stock 1:1 rockers (I think #22's would be iffy). If you get a reinforced 1.2 ratio rocker on a 265 cam, you get 318 lift which is plenty for a build like this. The Isky would give you 330.

EDIT: Don't listen to me. I was thinking about clones, not HEMIs.

Last edited:

noseoil

I run the stock hemi rockers with a Black Mamba (Sr) cam & they work fine. It's only a .275" lift cam, so the stock rockers are good for this lift with 26# springs in place. I've run over 8,000 rpms with this combination & so far things are working well enough for my needs. Nothing sustained at this speed, just shorter drag runs so a longer pull at this speed could end up being a problem, just don't know.

Get a rod & flywheel is the bottom line for what you're doing, or you'll be finding the "weak link" the hard way on your motor. It just doesn't make sense to do a build & go cheap on parts that can fail at higher engine speeds.

I run the stock hemi rockers with a Black Mamba (Sr) cam & they work fine. It's only a .275" lift cam, so the stock rockers are good for this lift with 26# springs in place. I've run over 8,000 rpms with this combination & so far things are working well enough for my needs. Nothing sustained at this speed, just shorter drag runs so a longer pull at this speed could end up being a problem, just don't know.

Get a rod & flywheel is the bottom line for what you're doing, or you'll be finding the "weak link" the hard way on your motor. It just doesn't make sense to do a build & go cheap on parts that can fail at higher engine speeds.
Very sorry. My head was in clone mode. Pretty much disregard what I said.

noseoil

No worries! The hemi rockers are pretty stout as they come from the factory. Not sure I would want to run the at really high rpms for miles at a time. At this point, I'm thinking I would most likely snap a valve stem & am looking into SS valves to run with the motor. There's always something to break to find out where the weak link is in a motor, you just have to look long enough...

I too am looking into ss valve, "hd" retainers and automotive style split locks, but everyone where I see the retainers/locks for sale, state they are for 26 # springs or heavier. Would they not work with hemi specific 18# valve springs? Or is it just odd for someone to use the "hd" retainers/locks with 18 # springs?

I'm now almost positive I am going with the CS grind cam which seems to meet all my requirements (I can go back and change for a bigger cam in the future which is always fun) which states require 18# springs, but also want to replace valve, retainers,locks, pushrods etc even if I don't need them, but worried I can't use the "hd" retainers/split locks with 18# springs. Anyone have input on this subject?