5Hp Briggs Spark Cut Out??

Ok, so heres the scoop, my friend dumpde my mini a wee or two ago, he dumpde it on the sied at a low speed but broke 2 flywheel fins off. so i removed the busted flywheel since it was so off balance, but i realized the coil (points style) has a crack on the plastic (the bottom by the flywheel inbetween the metal thing) i hope that makes sense:eek:ut: . ok so after installing a 1994 model 13. but when im hauling :censure: down the road the spark cuts out, ya know, skips one or two sparks occasionakky. i put a new plug in and it doees it still!! i may convert it to electronic ignitiion but i love points style motors! i dont know what happend or how it happens.

PS: the bike wasnt severly damaged when my friend dumped it, it happednd on the grass. :thumbsup: he wasnt hurt either, he wasnt expecting a wheelie machine when he gave full throtle.

The plastic acts as an insulator. If your losing spark it may be arcing out of the plastic. And when it does arc out its not getting to the plug to fire the engine. So you may need a new one.

doah:eek:k thank yoy! in that case im going to convert to electronic ignition>>> i dont really want to since points has lower rpm capabilities.i had a coil for points but i needed the wire :doah: would i be able to attech a notheer wire since i left room to solder one on or should i buy a new one?

yeah it happen when im pushing way past 3600 since i got a pc-150 cam and a billet rod. i set the valves at .005 and.006 clearance. possibly it is because of float but i tried the kill button at speed and it did the same think when it cuts out occasionally.

im no cam expert but it definatly sounds to me like your floating valves especially with the high lift cam. the rev limiter on these engines is the weak valve springs.

ya know what jeep2003, i took it for an evening ride and the new magnetron wakes up the motor a little but it still makes the dying sound so i am going to order some racing valve souble springs tonight and that will cure my valve float problem, hopefully

Oldsalt

I guess you know that reving that motor well beyond the factory governed rpm is asking for a blown up flywheel. Consider the position of your leg in relationship to the flywheel if you have not already done so. Be careful.

oh yeah im glad that my friend didnt dump at 35mph and then blow the flywheel. thats my next investment since i just blew 23$ on springs, 40$ on a arc rod (used once) and another 30 on a pc-150 cam (used one also) so i need to save money. plus im 16 and im going to need a car soon since i just got my liscence, gas insurance ect

not alot of people mention this but if you cant afford a flywheel right away you can make a scattershield. just bend a thick plate 1/8" or thicker. bend it around the contour and over top of the shroud and bolt it on with it. Thats what the racers did back in the day before they had billet everything

i going to have to make one of those! i guess ive never seen one but im going to look it up and make one like back in the day. also, i got my springs today!!:thumbsup: so i finally get to use the valve spring compresser i got for christmas. so i will make an updaye when i get them installed.

P.S. i broke down and converted to electronic ignition, gives the bike more get up and go!