5hp briggs with small flojet carb

I would like a little help, I'm new to all this but I managed to mount a small flojet off from a Briggs 3hp and put it on a 5hp Briggs of about the same age my question to yall is can I hook the arm style governor that the old gas tank carb used up to a carb that was on a motor with a pneumatic governor? Also does anybody have any suggestions on tuning my carb? It shouldn't need re jetted if I'm thinking right that the main jet is controlled by the by the main screw. Any advice is appreciated!!!

That is a very hard mix to play with I'd try and find a flo jet that came on a 5hp.
That was the first thing that came to mind for me. If the carb venturi size (diameter) is smaller on the Flo-Jet 3 HP carb, you will have a very hard time getting that 5 HP to run correctly, due to inadequate air flow. I know from experience that is the case with the Briggs "Pulsa-Jet" carbs- The 3 HP ones do not run very well at all on a 5 HP engine.
Michael

I had heard that the small flojet had worked for other people on a Briggs 5hp flathead when I did a quick search on google, I'm going to try the emulsion tube first the way Richard Trotter had mentioned thank you all!

The 231428 tube is the one listed for the 5hp flojet. If you can't find it under that number, look for a 23222. Later model flojets had more restrictive emulsion tubes as an effort to make them run cleaner (EPA). They wouldn't work for the 5hp. 23222 is a very old part but still available.

Last edited:
When I rebuilt the carb I noticed significantly smaller orifices in the emulsion tube that they sent me compared to the old one I pulled out and thaaat has to be why! Thank you!