6.5hp tav/cvt

hi, I'm new to the forum (first post). I was wondering if anybody could help me find a CVT or TAV for my 6.5hp mitsubishi? The engine was on a firehawk but now its on this custom bike i built. I dont have the 200 bucks for a real torque-a-verter so I was wondering if there were chinese clones i could get for less than 100? or maybe a used TAV?

the engine has the 4 bolt pattern around the drive shaft so i know i can bolt one on i just need one to use.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

oh and does anybody think this would work?
Continuously Variable Transmission for Pocket Bikes

Last edited:
BMI always has them on fleabay you can usually get them for $125 + shipping. Thats the TAV2 with the aluminum backing plate. Usually a couple bucks cheaper then their site.

If you do not want to pay the big bucks for one, I would wait it out, Comet was bought by CPC and they maybe getting them back in production soon. Beats paying double for them right now, I think a lot of us are waiting it out.

You can also buy the driver and driven pulleys separately and for a good price. Then mount the driven on a jack shaft. A friend of mine did this a few years ago after his mount broke on his kart. But price everything first. You could end up with as much or more money in the setup. If you have some of the parts already or can find a deal you could have very little cash in the whole thing.

I found one at BMI (Barhorst Mfg Inc. Versailes, Oh) manufacturing! (937-526-9544)They have a couple left. They are very nice and answer e-mails promptly. The last ones are selling for $165.00 usc. And they have parts for them as well. eg Belts, covers,etc...