69' 3HP Briggs Shroud

zeeman

I could go to my honey hole and see if he has one, but it would be rusty and need a total restoration most likely. Unless I can get him to show me the stuff inside the shop. This guy is a little weird. His father's small engine shop caught fire many years ago, and I'm almost to the point where he'll let me go in and see the good stuff.

Can you post or email me a pic of how I can tell what a '69 looks like opposed to other years.

I can go through things like this and see if I can locate one off cl around the DFW area.
Edger,Trailmate

I see the 2.5 HP pics on the first page, but what numbers can I ask owners to read off?

Last edited:
Can you post or email me a pic of how I can tell what a '69 looks like opposed to other years.

I can go through things like this and see if I can locate one off cl around the DFW area.
Edger,Trailmate

I see the 2.5 HP pics on the first page, but what numbers can I ask owners to read off?
That would make an excellent minibike engine NO MATTER what year it is.. If you're in the market that thing is definitely worth picking up..

It also (looks) perfect, if you're (looking for looks like) a 69 3 horse minibike motor.. To know for absolute sure.. You need to look at the shroud, by the gas tank, at the model numbers stamped to the engine.. theres three sets of numbers MODEL TYPE CODE

the first two digits of the CODE number is the year it was made, then on down the line is month and plant and line and stuff...

SO you'd want a CODE number 69XXXXX

THEN as Dereck posted, the (model) has to be the (minibike model) and most of the 69 briggs 3 horses would have been a MODEL 80202

But..... it's like I keep telling you guys... :sad: You are gonna search forever for that (perfect) part... You are sincerely better off, finding the almost perfect shroud.. THEN buy a briggs and stratton 1969 ANYTHING in the world... Cut out a 1 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch piece of metal that has CODE 6936367

square it up pretty nice, trim here, grind there... :glare:

Lay it on top of your shroud, trace it with an exacto or something, cut out the CODE7736367 from yours, and replace it with 6936367... :doah:

And I'm here to tell you, 69 is one of the hardest ANY engine to find... I have ONE!!! :mellow: But nobody wants a 69 vertical shaft 5 horse, so it's junk.. :shrug:

I see. Thanks Kid. I guess I can keep an eye on CL for actual '69 B&S equipped mini bikes, then go from there.

You are right. The edger is in great looking condition. I spoke with the owner and it has rarely been used at all in its lifetime. Will drive and see it after work.