6hp Power Sport throttle connection

I have a few questions regarding connecting throttle cable.

There appears to be two locations where cable can be connected.
One is at the side of motor and moves up/down vertically.
Or it looks like it can be connected on the bottom part horizontally

Which location should be used?
right side or lower bottom.
IMG_1563.JPG

2nd question.
Should the tension on main heavy spring(upper left) be set where the governor spring loop is just touching?
This is the point where throttle on carb starts opening
In this picture I'm holding main spring down with fingers.
IMG_1564.JPG

Attachments

Just me but I think that a cable pivot in the hole that's circled and the cable housing clamper on the outside screw hole.

Not a great pic but I hope it helps.

Last edited:
^^^Eric is right^^^^ Cable goes here with a swivel stop for the cable. The Governor springs should be loose as shown in your pic 1563 at idle. The tab that kind of looks like an upside down "T" is how you adjust high speed. You need to find a balance with that tab with the engine running (on a bench or wheels up, as that engine WILL take off). See this--start with post #155 for good pics and tips-- http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/projects-and-rides/117849-gangsta-cat350ss-16.html

It looks like "Gangsta" had same question as me.

Is below correct approach, bend gov spring a bit?

The throttle control would not pull the governor spring, so I took a half inch out of the spring coming from the governor rod. Seemed to make it better....on the stand.

Remounted the engine, adjusted the chain, put the seat back on and fired it up on blocks. After a minute or so, seemed to throttle up and hold rpms. Put it down on the ground and it bogged down.

Not sure whether to more length out of the spring or adjust the governor off of full counter clockwise a tad. The spring is NOT tight to the throttle control. There remains about 1/8" (more than 1/2" before) of play in the spring before the throttle starts pulling it./I]

Off topic. Here's ride.
My co worker gave me mini bike and box of unrelated parts.
Motor was covered in layer of cement, came off a mixer. Half way through cleaning it up I almost went to Harbor Freight twice...
Not the best resto, my son just wants something to ride.

before
IMG_1472.JPG

after
IMG_1559.JPG

It looks like "Gangsta" had same question as me.

Is below correct approach, bend gov spring a bit?

The throttle control would not pull the governor spring, so I took a half inch out of the spring coming from the governor rod. Seemed to make it better....on the stand.

Remounted the engine, adjusted the chain, put the seat back on and fired it up on blocks. After a minute or so, seemed to throttle up and hold rpms. Put it down on the ground and it bogged down.

Not sure whether to more length out of the spring or adjust the governor off of full counter clockwise a tad. The spring is NOT tight to the throttle control. There remains about 1/8" (more than 1/2" before) of play in the spring before the throttle starts pulling it./I]

Try bending the tab to the right (away from the carb) before taking any play out of the spring. I have another OHV downstairs that I'll dig out and check the spring arrangement. Gangsta Cat has a new home (everything's for sale!). Will be Sunday before I get to it.

I thought that tab was for the idle?
Thanks again, that would helpful if you can check.

Your build came out terrific, very tastefully done.

I thought that tab was for the idle?
Thanks again, that would helpful if you can check.

Your build came out terrific, very tastefully done.
Thanks. That was a fun one. Here's a link to the service manual. Start on page 25. It's a little tricky to understand but the two piece governor set, the throttle stop, the cable stop and the tab work in unison. It takes forever to get them adjusted right.
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...-OVRM120-OVXLC120-OVXL120-OVXL125-695244A.pdf.

Throttle Controls Set-up as they should be

Below are photos of an OHH195 with controls set up as they should be. I did not need to change (shorten) the spring on this engine. I converted a fixed speed to a variable speed control, so it does not have the mount that your engine's throttle control has, other than that it is the same. Presently a non-adjustable carb is on it, just for the sake of having a carb on it.

When I was re-reading my Gangsta thread, I noticed that I had issues with valve lash. This might be contribute to your problem with bogging down. It's fairly simple to check and adjust. Hope this helps.

Idle Tab

Proper Orientation of Spring and secondary linkage to idle tab

Looking down

Another angle of linkage orientation

Carb to governor arm

Governor to spring on #3

Great thanks for info, I appreciate the effort.
I think that's the issue, fixed vs variable speed control.
I believe the motor came off a cement mixer, who knows...

I will check valve lash.

Great thanks for info, I appreciate the effort.
I think that's the issue, fixed vs variable speed control.
I believe the motor came off a cement mixer, who knows...

I will check valve lash.
Not a problem...the manual link I gave you also shows how to convert from fixed to manual/remote throttle control. These engines are boogers to get going right but once there it's a nice torquey engine.