7/8th of a Rupp, how to proceed?

cfh

I bought this Rupp Roadster yesterday. Or should i say i bought 7/8th of a Rupp roadster.

A while back i bought a Rupp frame, for no particular reason....

The question is this... how to proceed?
1. Take the green frame to the powder coat guy, he'll sandblast and coat black. Transfer parts from 7/8th rupp to fresh powdercoat (now black, formerly green) frame. Buy a few missing parts, and have a Roadster. The black 7/8th frame now becomes a wall hanging conversation piece.
2. Do #1, but instead leave off the lights and convert it to a Black Widow.
3. Do *not* do #1, but instead take the seat pan off the green frame (essentially making it useless), and weld on the 7/8th rupp (making it a usable frame). Then consider option #2.

Comments?

Last edited:
I'd leave number 2 an unmolested frame. Can still make a black widow wannabe and keep the frame since it looks original. Just my 2 cents for whatever it's worth. Lol

cfh

I’m going to transfer all the parts to the green frame ( soon to be sandblasted and powder coated black ). It really seems to be the path of least resistance, and gives the best outcome.

Now the question is, do I stay with the roadster, or make it a black widow? I have the Dellorto carburetor and the tailpipe for the black widow. Decals are available for either. If I’m staying with the roadster I need to get a new rear tail light assembly. Not sure which way to go. Even if it’s a roadster it will still get the Dellorto. .

Last edited:

Itype2slo

The seat pans always rust out, that one looks like someone hacked and ripped it off while still attached to the fender bracket that’s some fancy bending :thumbsup:

cfh

Pushed the project along a bit more. Here's two Rupp frames powercoated. Not sure why i spent money to do the second one though...

And here's the Rupp (Black widow) starting to come together:

Found it.
I looked on Wikipedia and it said this."Black Widow - Perhaps the most famous of all Rupp mini bikes was introduced in 1971—the Black Widow. The Black Widow differed from the other Rupps offered in 1971 in a variety of ways. The Widow was outfitted with a Tecumseh HS40 without a lighting coil, similar to the Enduro, however it came with a Dell'Orto carburetor for increased performance. The Black Widow also came with a chrome straight pipe exhaust and motocross tires. It was also the only Rupp in '71 to have chrome front and rear fenders. As its name suggests it was offered in black only. It was marketed as an off-road racing machine and claimed to be the best in its class."

Dan, the chrome fender was an option that could be purchased for any of the 12" tire models. 10" tire bikes also had the option of a chrome rear fender. I've owned to original paint BW's and both had painted (black) rear fenders.