A childhood Rupp story

I'm no KKK (Gerry) when it comes to telling a story, but I thought it was pretty cool that I got one of my childhood bikes back.
I got this Rupp used when I was younger. I would say 1973. The bike never ran right. Of course now I know a lot more about mini bikes than I did back then.:laugh: I kinda remember wineing to my dad that the bike didn't run right, and that is when I got a brand new Honda SL70. The rupp sat in my garage until about 1980, (I had my own house by then). I gave the bike to my nephew who could never get it to run very good either. My nephew, Kris, gave the bike a really nice red paint job with a brush:1orglaugh: He also added a plumbing exsaust system. Not sure what ever happened to the original pipe:shrug: About 3 years ago my brother asked me If I wanted the Rupp back or he was going to put it out to the trash:scared: I was just starting to get back into mini bikes around then. When I saw the bike, I couldn't believe how terrible it looked. The bike had about a inch of oily saw dust stuck to it.:doah: The bike was also red, use to be purple. I got the bike home and cleaned a lot of the crud off, removed some red paint and just cleaned it a bit. It took me forever to get the plumbing pipe off and I had a friend make me a custom header. The bike did have the original seat foam but no seat cover. Think I got the cheap seat cover from ebay. I rebuilt the carb and started to aquire some parts from evil bay.
The bike has been parked in the back of the garage until today:smile:
First thing I had to do today before I even tried to get it started was to replace the rear brake assembly...NEED TO STOP :laugh::laugh: Replaced the fuel line, added gas and started yanking. My arm is going to fall off tomorrow. :laugh: (chain not on). I actually got the bike started but ran kinda crappy. I messed with the carb for a while and got it to run half way decent. Now, where is that chain:eek:ut: Soaking in a coffe can for 3 years. Chain looked really great:laugh: Installed the chain and ready for a ride. First time I rode the bike in 34 years:thumbsup::thumbsup: The Rupp still needs a lot of work, but I did get it going:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks everybody:thumbsup: Too bad I threw all the lights out:doah: The lights wern't cool back in the 70's.:laugh: I think I bought a wire harness from Markus a few years ago. I know I bought some other parts but can't seem to find them.:eek:ut: Gives me a good reason to clean the garage:thumbsup:

Great story! Bike looks WAY better than you described! Good for you! :thumbsup:
Thanks. There is about 3 or 4 hours of scrubbing and paint removal done all ready and that is not even close to being done. The handle bars was painted black and black paint was over the rupp decal on the shroud:laugh:

hey Karen I have a brand new pipe for that that I bought from OldMiniBikes if your interested.i'm never going to use it

why would someone paint over nice chrome :eek:ut:
I don't know. Must be a kid thing:laugh: I don't think he liked that the bike was purple, that is why he painted it red:laugh: I started workiing on the chrome rear shock springs (chrome). They look pretty good under the red paint:laugh: