A Cool RUTTMAN Story & Some Questions!

MiniBike Paul

My shop is over-loaded with bikes, so last weekend I advertised my perfect CT70 - it is/was beautiful but it just isn't me!

I got a few calls but the first (and only) guy to come see it, Jim, immediately saw my minibikes and starts telling me about his childhood minibike. He is in his late forties now, but at about 13 years old he got it - a small framed bike, it had no engine and no brakes. He fixed it up, put a Briggs 2hp on it, and in metal shop at school made and installed a scrub brake, and rode the hell out of it! Just recently he looked on the internet and figured out that it was a Ruttman, which he then confirmed on minidoodle.com yesterday.

But now, here is the really cool part of his story . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HE STILL HAS IT!!!

Yesterday, when he picked up my Honda, we shot these pictures;

I explained to him that it is a transplanted eastern bike, he lived out here, but that on OldMiniBikes.com he would reach guys with lots of Ruttman knowledge - hope I am correct, because he would like to know what engine he should have, what it originally had for brakes and anything else required so he can restore it back to pure! He thinks those are the original wheels, they were on it when he got it around '77-'78. In metal shop, he also added the fenders and the plate on the front top of the forks, and he made the seat.

He is not too computer active but will be looking at this. I will be helping him to get it restored and we both thank you guys in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Judging by the stubby kickstand...it was originally a 4'' wheel bike. So it could be a Toad or a Vulture. It is 1970-72 year. It originally probably had a 3 1/2 HP white Tec. motor or a 4HP if it was a Vulture. And for brakes it had a clutchbrake.

They also sold them as kits..or just frames. You could get a Briggs for it also. So you could basically build one at the store or find your own stuff. So it really depends on him how he wants to build it.

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like it could be a Taco wheel on the rear...which I believe was stock on some Ruttmans
Ruttman didnt use that style sprocket on the Taco wheels. They actually had a 60T sprocket with 2 sets of holes for the standard 4 bolt and for the smaller Taco 4 bolt pattern.

Hey I'm the guy that minibike Paul did this story about . I would to like to restor this bike to original condition like correct engine,wheels throttle and brake assy. Could use your guys help.

Cool story Doc!.........Welcome to OldMiniBikes, It's awsome that you kept your Ruttman all these years, I think most of us wish we had done the same, there's a lot of knowlege here and I'm sure our in house experts will have you restoring it back to it's origional glory!........Please be sure to document your work and keep us posted with in process pics!........We love this stuff!.............Good luck!.........:thumbsup:........Tom.

Ok guys I'll start with the serial number on the tag riveted to the engine mount it is 18087 does someone have records for those numbers
Honestly..the numbers mean nothing. Its the kind of tag and how it is secured to the bike that tells the years. The pre 70's have a number stamped on them. That offers a little insight.