A tutorial: How to adjust timing on a Tecumseh engine

capguncowboy

I looked around on the forums and couldn't seem to find a tutorial for this. I recently picked up a dial indicator and wanted to double-check my method before I wrenched the flywheel back down and there doesn't appear to be a thread for it. I doubled checked with a seasoned Tecumseh mechanic and wanted to provide a a thread here for others to reference as needed.

The process is really simple, but has to be really precise.

First off, while it's not entirely necessary, a dial indicator will make the process much easier. If you don't want to drop $50-100 on an indicator, then you'll need to remove the head and measure the piston directly. I'm going to demonstrate using the dial indicator.

When inserting the dial indicator, make sure the foot goes towards the piston and stays that way. Screw the collar into the spark plug hole.

Lift the dial indicator (it slides on the collar) about 1/4-1/2" from it's bottom position. While holding it in that position, tighten the collar set screw down. Next, rotate the engine to top dead center. You're going to see the dial go nuts when you get it here. It will go all the way up and start coming back down. Find the highest point and that's top-dead-center. Turn the face on your dial to mark that point as zero, and lock down the face using the set screw.

You're now ready to set the backwards rotation to the specified position. For this engine (HS40), the recommended position is .035" before TDC. I just rolled it backwards a tiny bit until it read .035"

Now that you have located the .035 measurement, you can remove the flywheel and start setting your points. My stator was completely removed from the engine during the cleaning process, so I needed to set the points first. To do this, you have to rotate the stator and find the sweet spot where the points are open as far as they'll open. Once you get them there, tighten the stator down so it won't move. Now, set your points to .020". There is a small silver screw inside the points housing.

Loosen the points screw and use a flathead screwdriver to turn them open and closed until the air gap is .020". Once you have them in the correct position, tighten the points back down.

Finally, now that your points are set correctly, loosen up your stator bolts and rotate it to the left until the points are barely open. I was told that a lot of guys use an ohm meter for this, but if you've got good eyes and good lighting, you can see the gap. Once you get it positioned just right, you're ready to tighten it down and put the flywheel back on.

TIP: Before you put your flywheel back on, I suggest you check the magnets for debris. I won't mention any names, but someone had a horrible experience trying to get their engine to run because the flywheel key was stuck to the magnet :laugh:

Hopefully, this will be useful for a lot of the guys that were in my position and won't have to ask a million questions. Feel free to add to it or make corrections as needed. Thanks to OND for his patience with me while I figured this out. He's truly a patient and helpful person!

If you have one, I would suggest using an ohmeter to determine when the points open, as it will be more accurate than eyeballing.
Agree 100%. And it's measured at the exact point where continuity is lost, and no one's eyes are good enough to see that. It makes no sense to measure piston depth to thousandths of an inch, the eyeball the exact point in which the points begin to open.

I was the person he referred to who left the old key stuck to the magnet in the flywheel. They're pretty hard to see with old man eyes. I've always got a chuckle out of the poke to me, in a "tutorial" that states it's not necessary to use an ohm meter.

These procedures are in the Tecumseh manual which is available for download free. The manual lists the correct specifications for the various engines, as well as details the proper method of timing these engines.

Back in the old, old days...just after electricity was invented..we could set the timing on our cars using the radio. First you would turn the engine crank until the timing marks were lined up where you wanted it..e.g. 8 BTDC. Then you would tune the AM radio in the dash "in between" stations where you could just hear the backround hiss and turn the volume way up.. Then, with the key in the on position you would slowly rotate the distributor until you heard a "pop" in the radio speaker. That was the the points opening...lock it down. I think you could even do it with the cap on.

This was handy if you were a dumb kid or too poor to afford a fancy timing light and a tach/dwell/ohm meter. All you needed was a matchbook cover to adjust the point gap and couple wrenches.

Alas this has nothing to do with the venerable Tecumseh...just me reminiscing.

Back in the old, old days...just after electricity was invented..we could set the timing on our cars using the radio. First you would turn the engine crank until the timing marks were lined up where you wanted it..e.g. 8 BTDC. Then you would tune the AM radio in the dash "in between" stations where you could just hear the backround hiss and turn the volume way up.. Then, with the key in the on position you would slowly rotate the distributor until you heard a "pop" in the radio speaker. That was the the points opening...lock it down. I think you could even do it with the cap on.

This was handy if you were a dumb kid or too poor to afford a fancy timing light and a tach/dwell/ohm meter. All you needed was a matchbook cover to adjust the point gap and couple wrenches.

Alas this has nothing to do with the venerable Tecumseh...just me reminiscing.
You are a delight!

Is it true that there is no air gap on an internal coil ? referring to a HS50 I changed the points and flywheel on this engine and now it won't start, pops, I think I need to re-set the timing.

capguncowboy

Are you're talking about the distance between the flywheel and the stater? No, Tecumseh staters are designed in a way that you can't get the gap wrong.

There's an air gap...but it's non adjustable. While your adjusting them, be sure to clean the point contacts with some fine emery paper and alcohol. New points often have an invisible coating or oxidation formed on them that prevents them from functioning properly.

Agree 100%. And it's measured at the exact point where continuity is lost, and no one's eyes are good enough to see that. It makes no sense to measure piston depth to thousandths of an inch, the eyeball the exact point in which the points begin to open.

I was the person he referred to who left the old key stuck to the magnet in the flywheel. They're pretty hard to see with old man eyes. I've always got a chuckle out of the poke to me, in a "tutorial" that states it's not necessary to use an ohm meter.

These procedures are in the Tecumseh manual which is available for download free. The manual lists the correct specifications for the various engines, as well as details the proper method of timing these engines.
Thanks for the link Dave!

Thanks guys, the info about the airgap solves a peice of the puzzle for me, just one more question: do I need to re-time the motor when I changed out the points ?

thank you, I was afraid to touch it until I started reading this forum, I think I will dig into it, I need to replace the side cover gasket anyways, now is the excuse to get it out and on the bench pull the head and take a looksie. Again thanks to all who took the time to answer what is probably one of the most asked but basic questions.

Hey guys I want to share with you a bracket (EZT13150) I bought from E-Z Bore, it holds my dial indicator in the perfect spot to set the timing on my Tecumseh it was originally made for a Briggs from what I was told. It will also check valve lift. 19.95 a quality piece. dial indicator bracket.jpg