Advancing Timing what are the advantages

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It help on both bottom and top end. By advancing the timing it allows the motor to rev higher. Timing automatically retards as the RPM rises. If it goes down to around 15 degrees it will stop reving. Most motors come stock at 23 degrees, but when your at 4000 RPM it's at about 18 degrees.

Most race motors always have the timing at 30 degrees or higher so the can rev 7000+ RPM.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
We didn't run keys in our kart motors. We just used some lapping compound and tightened em good.
People always talk about using lapping compound. What actually keeps it tight is the TQ that you put on it. If I hit it with my impact it will stay right were it is no matter what.

Your not going to get those kinds of RPM without doing something with the springs... new or shims with the stock springs the max is going to be under 6000
anything over that and you should get a new flywheel....... I know, I know, safety first. The new billet flywheels come advanced already. I can't remember how much. They are about 3lbs also.

Would that be the same as saying the crank was twisted, because I was given a bunch of parts from a racing cart and the guy who gave them to me said the crankshaft was "twisted" but he couldn't say why it was twisted?

Would that be the same as saying the crank was twisted, because I was given a bunch of parts from a racing cart and the guy who gave them to me said the crankshaft was "twisted" but he couldn't say why it was twisted?
I am guessing the cam was "twisted". if you want to change crank timing, you just move the gear.
The reason you twist the cam, is to make the valves open when you want them to..."better cam profile". The only reason you do it is if you have to use the "stock" cam.
one example would be:
close the exhaust valve later and open the intake sooner and you get "cross over"... "exhaust gases leaving the head create a pull on the intake and you get more AF mix into the cylinder"