Aftermarket (performance) air filter on a Predator

I am sure that many of you have already done this, and I'm looking for some guidance from anyone experienced....
We're planning on doing the "usual/typical" mods to the HF "Predator" we just purchased (e.g., re-jetting, performance exhaust, performance air filter, etc.) just like we did way back when on our old (blue-colored) HF "Greyhound". It is interesting comparing the engines. They are really quite similar , however there are some differences, some quite subtle. One difference in particular is the length of the carb stud bolts. They are LONGER on the previous HF clone as compared to the new Predator. The carb stud bolts on the Predator (at least on one side) are not long enough to secure the air filter adapter needed to mount the performance air filter.:no: To those that have already done this- What did you do? Did you have to install longer carb stud bolts? Where did you purchase them?
Thanks for any help,
Michael

Last edited:
There is a thick gasket between the stock air box and carb. Remove it, or swap it for a thin paper one that came with the hf blue clone. Then the bolts are long enough to bolt the voloceity stack to the carb, well if it is the same as mine. Yours mite be different than mine. Hope its helps.

You only need one stud.OldMiniBikes Warehouse,one of the venders on the forum, sells them.There is a banner at the top of the page. Bill

Thanks for the replies- it is appreciated.:thumbsup: I ordered a longer carb stud bolt from OldMiniBikes warehouse to replace the short one.:laugh:

ok so i bought the longer bolts from OldMiniBikes. put on a uni filter. some people are reporting no change in jetting. other are. what else are you going to do the predator?

I found some interesting information on the Preditor 6.5HP engines. Take a real good look at the Kohlor 6.5HP engines and tell me if there are identical to the Preditor? I think Kohlor makes the Preditor for Harbor Frieght? Although, you pay double for the Kohlor name. :thumbsup:

TT

ok so i bought the longer bolts from OldMiniBikes. put on a uni filter. some people are reporting no change in jetting. other are. what else are you going to do the predator?
I had to jet mine. #67 drill on the main jet and #77 drill on low jet.
Also using 140 emulsion tube. Tried with just 140 emulsion tube, no luck.
Ran like crap without jetting it. Your results may vary.

Running arc angled air filter and arc adapter (with choke hold bracket). As well as this exhaust:
1" Mini Bike Exhaust Screw On Muffler