Another Breaker

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
My little racing buddy just had a minor set back on saturday. He started his bike and went about 20-30 feet and said it's not making all the power any more, and is making a funny sound. So I took the bike to check it out, and look at what I found.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Small big valve head 28.5mm intake, 26mm exhaust, dual springs
Fully ported and polish, head is in my photos

My old .306" lift MMS cam with HD Parsons 1.12 rockers

HL348 alky tillotson carb, EC intake, port matched

Billet rod, flat top piston, billet adjustable ARC flywheel 34 degrees.

The motor was running real good, it even won a little money for the owner 2 weeks ago. I'm guessing saying that it makes about 20hp. It does about 78-80mph with the 120 guy on it.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Yes it was stil running, it's very odd, but seems to happen often with clone cranks and to many mods. This is the 7th clone crank I seen break. I have seen 3 bent ones too.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
He needs a real Honda crank, but it's cool. I'm only the builder so it depends on what everyone can afford.

That ARC crank doesn't allow you to pull start the motor any more.

This is a video of the guy racing it. I just posted this vieo from 2 weeks ago when it was running good.

YouTube - Faustino Playing Around

Or... A bit more balanced. :eek:ut:
That's a DM 10 stroker crank for the Petter PH1. Its after market and actualy a clone crank for the KOEL clone of the PH1. Stroke is 116 mm and it adds about 2 hp to the diesel when you factor in the compression ratio increase. It requires the piston to milled and the the cylinder to be decked by shimming. You can't see it in the picture but the back side of that crank is machined for bolt on counter weights like Duetz ( or other Listers and Petters of the era ).

More steel there than an entire Honda. I'm going to see if I can find the piston and rod for some perpective next to the honda for laughs. That engine is rated at 10 hp lol.

Here's a link to my Chum Dave's
http://www.veglisteroidnz.co.nz/veglisteroidnz/10_hp_petteroid.html

Clearly not a drag motor I know but its impressive as hell, full pull on daves produces 14hp ( 1 litre, 1400 rpm ) Only other Mods are replacement valves remachined to fit the head ( Holden 3.8 litre ). Dave also added an external drip oiler to the rocker box, my clone has an external steel line that feeds direct presure the rocker arm shaft.

I wonder how much power I could get from a Yanmar clone?
A hot rod diesel mini, has it been done before?

Last edited:
I've been more than curious as to what might be rearing it's ugly head and taking a dump on the clones. I'm sure that's not going to be the only problem that pops up. A shop that I know of is doing seam welding on these engines.

den35

(Re.Broken crank)

Yes it was stil running, it's very odd,.....

I've seen that before.Back in the 90's I was working at a marina.Customer brought in an old Evinrude 25hp outboard that ran,but kept popping the top crank seal out.Turned out the crank was snapped in half between the throws,in a pattern that allowed it to keep turning.Once the case was opened it fell apart.

Perhaps it's not so odd.Just mindboggling.:eek:ut:

MDB, I can not wait to send you my head off my clone, That thing is a straight sleeper:thumbsup: That is how my Hayabusa looks, It is flat black, and looks like it is a Rat bike just tossed together, then when Some one pulls up next to it and we leave it is a whole different story LOL. Gotta love the the gx160 recoil cover on it. Nice work and nice bike. DO you have any videos of what the bike sound like at a Idle by any chance? That is how I want by Alley bike to be simple yet very effective,:scooter::scooter:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Naw, I never tried that stuff before.

It sounds a little radical, and runs very well. I would say it makes about 20hp.

This is the second motor that I know of that broke the crank, and was still running.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Hey it's funny how things goes.
Originally the guys that are losing in the videos have there motors built by other people. Then they bet money on a race and then either lost, or get blown away. Then they ask the guy that just beat them "Who Built Your Motor?"

LOL
Then they come to me and say hey what all does that motor have?
And how much would it cost for me to have more than him?

delray

minidragbike, after a hard day of running them do you change the oil. you would think they would be alot of metal in them after running hard? no oil filter:doah:....:scooter: