Anyone else run their MB200 without any electronics driven by the engine??

To extract that miniscule amount of rear-wheel HP, I don't have my stock MB200's headlight connected. I usually ride during the day and thus don't need it. The few times I rode at dusk/night, the light was sooooo weak that is was practically useless. Plus a others have pointed out, it is AC powered and thus its brightness varies with the engine rpm (If I were going to use the light for night riding, I'd make sure to put a rectifier in the circuit or at least some caps and a battery to maintain the brightness at idle).

I've read about how some people have cut off every other vane on the stock plastic cooling fan to extract more rHP....

Might the HP gained from modifying the fan be less, the same, or more than that of not running any lights or other accessories?? :laugh:

It's AC- The reason the lights go bright and dim with RPM is because you don't have a battery to store the power generated, not because you're generating AC.

If you want to charge a battery for lights, and/or run LED's, you need a battery and rectifier/regulator.

Or just get some rechargeable Li-Po's, and hook it to some LED's. Lots of information here on that.

Incandescent lamps do not care if it's AC or DC. LED's require DC.

joekd

The NR racing motor on my baja didn't have a charging coil so I just removed the light and cut off the mount brackets as well, never really ride at night so didn't serve much purpose for me

I'm thinking I can put a smaller mobility scooter 12 volt battery on it for the headlamp.
I'd like to add tail lamp and possibly brake/turn signals too.
I'm thinking either a 22 or 35 AH battery will give me plenty of run time for lamps before needing a recharge.

I'm still tempted to try the electric start engine from Northern.
IMO, recoil start is for backup use when your battery is dead, or your starting circuit craps out.

I really wish there was a kick start mod for these engines.
I'd be all over a kick starter.

I'm thinking I can put a smaller mobility scooter 12 volt battery on it for the headlamp.
I'd like to add tail lamp and possibly brake/turn signals too.
I'm thinking either a 22 or 35 AH battery will give me plenty of run time for lamps before needing a recharge.

I'm still tempted to try the electric start engine from Northern.
IMO, recoil start is for backup use when your battery is dead, or your starting circuit craps out.

I really wish there was a kick start mod for these engines.
I'd be all over a kick starter.

Trying to decide how many lumens I want.
1500 would be plenty and only pulls 2.25 amps.
2535 lumens is even better and only pulls 3 amps,