Are these welds poor?

My minibike welds were done when I was worse at welding, about 8 months ago, some of them at least. Are these OK, for arc welds?

I say yes too! There bad. Did you use a stick welder. Welding takes some practice to be good at it. Keep welding and it will get better with time.

The great thing about welding is you can grind them out and try again :thumbsup: What kind of rod are you using? Are you using AC or DC? Stick welding takes a lot of practice.

Jordon

I am quite good now, but then I wasn't. I find it alot easier to get a good ripple weld on a flat, horizontal peice of metal. Heres one of my best practice arc welds:

n58591

Wow, those welds are day and night.

I think the yellow paint really makes them show. I would grind them down and re-do. You don’t even have to do them all at once. Grind the little bumps too.

fitment is as important as the weld (or more so). If the pieces dont fit well in the first place, then you will be blowing through the gaps and 'chasing' the holes...making things worse. Good tight fitting pieces are easy, as your new test-piece shows.
Grind them down, try to lightly fill the holes/gaps, then once its all filled in go over the joint making a nice fillet. Repositioning the frame/bike to the easiest (horizontal) position for each weld might be a pain in the butt, but it will be worth it. Much better to take your time than to have something break and potentially get a mouthful of asphalt!:thumbdown::scooter::eek:ut:

edit: CLEAN METAL WELDS BEST!! Clean all the paint/slag off the area to be welded!!
Thats what I would do............but thats just my opinion.:wink: