At 80 years old...Don Garlits

I was at the '86 Nationals in Englishtown and saw his famous "blow-over". It was the first national event I ever went to and I figured that kind of stuff happened all the time but my buddy was flipping out saying "Do you have any idea what you just saw !"

Years later I saw him there with that 'Mono-Strut" car or whatever he called it. It was a small operation just him and a small trailer and the car. No big rig or semi trailer. Me and my kid were talking to him while he unloaded it and this guy showed up with a 3 ring binder full of pictures and wanted Garlits to sign them all. He said "why so you can make money selling them...I'll sign one"...then he told the guy to beat it.

Those are my two Garlits stories...:biggrin:

The museum is just Too Cool. First trip I made to Florida I flew into Jacksonville and at some point took a day and rented a ride and went there. Pretty much had the place to myself-it was a weekday. If you have never been there it is absolutely one of those places to put on your list- :thumbsup:

I've had the pleasure of meeting him a handful of times as he's been a celebrity guest to our local car show. Hes an awesome guy and truly a living legend

I lived about 5 miles from the Lions Drag Strip and grew up hearing the events for years but went to the Strip after I got out of the service and there were people there like TV Tommy Ivo, Don Prudhomme and of course Big Daddy Don Garlits. What was so big was they cracked the 225 mph in the full 1/4 mile and you could stand against the fence 10 feet from the start line
Steve

I visited the museum in Ocala a year ago and there was just too much stuff to soak it all in at once.
The museum is truly an amazing place. What most people don't know is that it's actually two museums, one is all drag racing and the other is collector cars. We spent hours there and still were not able to see it all:thumbsup:

I was also fortunate enough to see him run at the US Nationals at Indy:smile:

Last edited:
My Dad was friends with an old partner of Garlits and famous drag racer in his own right named Connie Swingle now deceased, Connie hung out at a mutual friend's shop who has since also passed away. Mr. Swingle built many of the chassis for the Swamp Rats over the years. Garlits is a cool dude and sure is still going strong, I wish him all the best for the future and hope he stays sharp for years to come.

Street Smart

He used to be at Super Chevy at Maple Grove every year. Great guy, always hanging out talking with fans, givin stuff away to the kids. Last time I saw him was maybe 4 years ago, still very sharp to talk to. Added a lot to the sport!

He used to be at Super Chevy at Maple Grove every year. Great guy, always hanging out talking with fans, givin stuff away to the kids. Last time I saw him was maybe 4 years ago, still very sharp to talk to. Added a lot to the sport!
I always enjoyed a talk with him at the Grove. Fan friendly especially with the kids. It's another case of a generation that just cannot be replaced. Hard working and innovative.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

I had this old copy of National Dragster hanging on my wall for years...it was the complete issue not just the cover. Always meant to get him to sign it but got lazy. I just sold it a few months go on the HAMB when I was cleaning out the basement. Ended up almost giving it away I should have just mailed it to him but I'm sure he already has a copy.

btw there was some controversy over the 200 mph run...some say he first broke it at Island Dragway here in NJ.