Azusa drum brake rubbing

I had the same issue with azusa and contacted them. They replaced the drum for free because it was simply out of round. Works decent now but still does not stop as well as i would like. I am adding a clutch band brake so I will have two brake levers and systems. Redundent yes....but i like to stop almost as much as i like to fly:scooter:

I know this thread is old, but it really helped me with the Azusa drum and brake I just bought. Its a bit out of around. going to try the chalk trick tomorrow:thumbsup:

george3

Azusa brake assemblys all rub in the same place. the shoes are not centered with the hole. also before you do this get your rear wheel and sprocket to spin streight. Sometimes you have to mix up the rim halfs to make a wheel that spins decent. Time consuming but well worth it.

delray

little up date too with my brake. it still doesn't work worth a carp. like george said,shoe's dont seam to be center. i had band brakes work 10x better....:doah:and shouldn't have fix new part that is made to bolt up and go........

george3

little up date too with my brake. it still doesn't work worth a carp. like george said,shoe's dont seam to be center. i had band brakes work 10x better....:doah:and shouldn't have fix new part that is made to bolt up and go........
and shouldn't have fix new part that is made to bolt up and go.

I second that.

Well in the olden times when you had a brake job done on your car the mechanic would clean up the brake drums and the term used they would ARC the brake shoes by sanding off the high spots in the shoe material. The lining in those days were made of asbestos bearing material and and is very harmful to your health.
So you may have brake shoes that don't make good contact with the brake drum.
Yes I am old and I did my share of brake jobs and clutches but I am still here LOL
Steve :scooter:
Yep - It was called arcing the shoes, done it many times & we used to do it in high school auto shop (not even sure if they have that any more in most places - sad).

Send a nasty note to Azusa Engineering and tell them what you think of their "Engineering".
Just my 2 cents - there arent many real "engineers" around any more. I used to work as an enginerring tech and worked with many talented engineers, the ones I work with now arent worth a grain of salt. I think the main ssue is lack of common sense:(

george3

RE-Engineering Bad-Engineering

Every brake assembly I have re-worked stops great. You can re-arc them on the drag point opposite the actavator arm but you are eliminateing more shoe less stopping power on a already weak setup. only 3/4 wide POS. here is what I do. use a large round file. file the hole oppsite the actavator side so you can re-center the whole assembly. Only about 1/32 then I machine a spacer to the correct length. I then use a 5/8 bolt about 2" long and bolt the spacer to the brake assembly holding it tight to the filed side, and weld the spacer to the backing plate. this re-centers it away from the side that rubs and also you have a much better and stronger brake assembly.

Last edited:
I know this is old, but I think everyone has missed the obvious.

Look back at the first post and the last picture posted.

Everyone knows black cats are bad luck. That's the cause of your problem.

lay the sprocket on a flat surface , it ain't flat , assemble it all spin the wheel , hold a screw driver or something tight against the frame and push it against the sprocket towards the outer most edge close to the teeth , this will show you where it is out of sack ! Beat the high spots with a rubber mallet to true the sprocket and problem solved .I just did this last week , now the rest of story is true they don't work well , not much stopping power , I will not use another one , scrub or disk on next build !

Azusazhole here: I'm not sure how old this post is, but my experience with the drum brake is as bad or worse than all of the above listed issues. I also went to a band brake on the opposite side of the sprocket. It does work well. I recommend to AZUSA to change this "Drum Brake" design for a band brake set-up before someone gets seriously hurt. :detective:

Last edited: