Back from the Burnishers

tomsprops

No Oops !:oops: here ! I left them in because I wasn't sure how the process would effect the bearings seat .So I wanted to protect them by leaving the old bearrings in place. All of these rims were Heavly corroded and the bearings where shot .So I planned on replacing the bearings anyway's .

Those are absolutely gorgeous...just like new.

I'm with ya on leaving the bearings in...better to clean the bearing area by hand to insure the gentle touch.

Do they really tumble, or just vibrate?...I would think tumbling would ding them up.

No Oops !:oops: here ! I left them in because I wasn't sure how the process would effect the bearings seat...
I dig that. :thumbsup: Some of my spare halves have pretty loose bearing holes. Let us know if it makes a difference to protect 'em during the process. No sense in making it worse. I'm gonna see if there's a source for that treatment in my area. It looks much better than blasting. I think it would also be interesting to throw an old cylinder block & head into the tank and see what happens. My buddy has a blast cabinet devoted to walnut shell media for those parts, but they still come out looking blasted. BTW, another buddy recently praised soda blasting. Said he'd seen some parts that came out w/a great look and no damage. Anybody heard of that before?

Soda blasting has been around for a while. It is what some Corvette restoration shops use to strip cracking paint on old fiberglass Corvette bodys without destroying the body or destorting it. Where chemicals would harm the fiberglass.

tomsprops

The Process is very gentle on the parts. The price is for a batch. That could be 1 or 20 pieces .The rims are placed in a large tank about the size of a 55 gallon brum on it's side .The first stage uses a solvent and a synthtic medium to clean and remove the heavy oxidation. The drum vibrates and tumbles the part's like the old rock tumblers we had as kids.
The second stage uses a different medium( Ground Corn Husk) to Gently polish the rims. It give the rims a perfect shine that make them look like new again with out damage to the rims like Blasting will do .
Best of all it's Cheap !

im also interested in what an engine block and head would look like after this. i bet it would look really cool once you ran the motor and the head changes a few colors almost like a natural color fade into a different color.