Baja Dirt Bug? Comet torque-a-verter

Hi all, I just bought a new Baja Dirt Bug from the local Canadian tire, I know its a pretty cheap machine but I only bought it for zipping around the pits at the drag races, anyways its has a no-name little 2.8 hp engine and I was wondering if anyone knows if a comet torque-a-verter will work with these bikes, i also was thinking about getting a 5hp for it but, i was hoping a comet would work on this engine also. Anyways is this possible?

a tav will fit the 5 hp assuming the shaft is not some odd size how ever the 5/8 inch shaft on the stock engine its too small for any tav because they only make a 3/4 inch and a 1 inch tav

Okay , haha well i guess its off to princess auto to get some more hp! honestly i didnt even look under the clutch cover yet. its only a few days old but I figured it could definatley use some more power! thanks for the info

I dont think the converter is worth it just getting a bigger motor would do the job, There are alot of motor kits like 6.5hp comes with everything you need and easy to install, done in less than an hour most kits costing about 250+ shipping...cheap for everything that comes with it, check out Cjtmini's kit, i dont know if it would work with your bike but its a great deal.

den35

Dirt bug and Doodlebug by Baja are the exact same bike.Only a different name and reflectors added to sell it in Canada.

lzrider,I got my Dirt Bugs new 5.5hp engine at Tooltown on sale for $138 tax in.You will need a new clutch with a 3/4" shaft size.I recomend ordering one online.I paid $90 for a MaxTorque from a local go-kart track.They are MUCH cheaper from places like Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts, Go Kart Parts, Mini Bike Part, Lawn Mower Parts, Chainsaw Part and Small Engine Parts.That's MFG Supply.I get most of my parts from there now.Good prices,fair priced and reasonably quick shipping.

However,CJTMini's kit is a great idea too.Everything you'd need in one package,plus a new,no-drill mounting adapter.I wish he's had made it before I did my Doodlebug up.

Last edited:
I found a 6.5 hp Honda OHV at Princess Auto for 200$, i'll have to get the 3/4" clutch aswell, but i couldnt see a chain # is it #41?

den35

The stock DB chain it #35.

You may have to mod the tensioner as well.If so,take a look at my gallery photos.An easy mod.

Last edited:
Hello I wanted to know something about the clutch does it matter how many teeth there are on the clutch cuz the stock cutch on the doodlebug has 11 teeth i cant find a clutch with 11 teeth for the 3/4'' shaft but there are 12 tooth clutches and 10 tooth for the 3/4'' shaft will it still work:confused: so if you could please get back to me thanks.

5/8" shaft clutches with #35 chain have 11 teeth

3/4" shaft clutches with #35 chain have 12 teeth

3/4" shaft clutches with #41 chain have 10 teeth (larger chain, larger teeth on the sprocket)

from Gokartexpress"

""n fact the TAV is more rugged today than the early models. Fits most popular bikes with4 cycle engines. Kit is complete. Bolts on in minutes. Available for 5/8 - 3/4 and 1" crank shafts. Up to 17% overdrive * no welding * no misalignment * no guesswork ... Just bolt it on and go.""

Hello I wanted to know something about the clutch does it matter how many teeth there are on the clutch cuz the stock cutch on the doodlebug has 11 teeth i cant find a clutch with 11 teeth for the 3/4'' shaft but there are 12 tooth clutches and 10 tooth for the 3/4'' shaft will it still work:confused: so if you could please get back to me thanks.
i'm guessing you have a 6.5 and a stock rear sprocket so it would be best to go with the 12 tooth.

do you know what kind of gearing you want to run or how going up/down in sprocket sizes changes stuff?

edit: i just realized that was an old thread. :censored:

Last edited: