Baja minibike?

Found a Baja minibike (same as Baja® Motorsports Mini Bike, 196cc - Tractor Supply Co.) on Craigslist pretty near me. Apparently, it's missing the fakey gas-tank, but otherwise it's complete & still runs & drives, although it has problems idling (which, eh. No biggie).

I have yet to take a look at it, but for $90 (if condition dictates when I look at it, maybe a bit lower), I'm willing to take a gamble. Spoke with the guy tonight on the phone, & explained it was his son's minibike that he's had for a good while, and he's trying to sell it off to fund quads & stuff.

So, before I go take a look at it, any potential problems with these particular bikes? Are they at least a halfway decent bike, or do they just suck outright?

I've seen these at the local Tractor Supply, but I've never really had the inkling to plunk down the money on one.

So, any thoughts? :laugh:

That's what I was thinking. The problem is, I'm wondering just why it's $90.

I could almost guarantee that the bike is gonna be rough if his kid's been riding it a couple years. If the frame is cracked/warped/etc., I'd be a buyer at $50 if it wasn't super, super bad (like a longitudinal split along a tube).

I figure this might be my way into my first mini, fairly inexpensively. That, and with the big tires I might be able to run it in a little snow! :laugh:

There could be a lot of problems with it, but for $90 probably a good deal. I looked at these for awhile and found these issues: front shocks worn-out, foot pegs broken off, handle bar hanger broken, engine doesn't run, jackshaft worn-out.

Some people will sell stuff on cl for cheap, just to get rid of it. Others act like it's made of gold. I tend to ignore of over priced stuff and look for the deals. If not too far away, I would check it out.

I would take a look at it if the guy were home half the time! Otherwise, he's pretty much down the road from me (maybe 5 miles, if that!).

Apparently the bike runs & drives normally, but it has a couple of quirks. Apparently it smokes a little, but I'm willing to put up with that as it's not a big issue.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make the deal this weekend, and hopefully I'll be able to pull the wheels off & cram it into the trunk of a crown vic (god knows I've crammed tons of stuff in that poor car!) :smile:

Again, I'm not expecting much out of it... I'd just rather not have a basketcase that's shot to hell & will need a metric ton of work for a first mini. :laugh:

Yeah, talked to the guy last night. Seems pretty legitimate.

I'm going to take a look at it this weekend, it's kind of one of those things where I'm wondering why it's so damned cheap.

Alright, a couple of days ago when I was on the phone with the seller, I asked him to e-mail me his address so I could google maps it (I know the road, and it is pretty close to me, but I'd still like to map it out just in case, sometimes signs are missing around here).

No response as of yet.

I will try calling him tomorrow & seeing what's going on. I'd like to at least take a look at the thing & make a fair offer if it dictates doing so.

Somebody was probably there to buy the bike as soon as he posted the ad. You can't tinker around with the craig list ads. You have to get on your horse and get there fast:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

Somebody was probably there to buy the bike as soon as he posted the ad. You can't tinker around with the craig list ads. You have to get on your horse and get there fast:thumbsup:
that's right, usually anything nice is gone a few hours after it's posted. It is fun though, even after all the stress and excitement of racing to get there first. There is nothing better that riding home with that big smile from making that new score and having it safely in the back of the truck.

I agreed to meet the guy at his house, at the time he wanted. We specified a close date & time. I was being completely & totally flexible to his scheduling.

Gave him a call to confirm, and "oh yeah, I sold it this morning". The HOUR before I said I'd be there with cash.

I understand that cash talks, but a courtesy phonecall would at least be nice so as not to waste my time. If I end up selling something from underneath a person, I give them a call ASAP to let them know.

That's what irks me the most about it. Don't waste my whole f'en day.