Baja Warrior rear suspension No Welding

Some pics of my warriror with homemade swing arm and shocks from a streetbike I got from ebay for 8.00 dollars.

The original rear part of frame, the kickstand sticking downward, hit a tree stub when I was riding, the mini stopped but I kept going and slid and hit my knee cap on fork mount, I decided I needed more ground clearance.

The swingarm is bolted, no welding because I cant use a welder where I live.

Nice!

Grey & Black Classic color combo:thumbsup: did an AR Metallic Charcoal & Black:wink:

Hows that chain tensioner work? Swing independent on the swing arm bolt?

Thanks everyone :smile:

The chain tensioner, I mounted with tapping and threading inside swing arm I have a bearing on the tension shaft (hobby shop carries high speed micro bearings). It works nice and smooth when up and down and keeps chain tension consistent.

The rims are original and I painted them with 'black laquer' (has less of an orange peel look) and the tires are snow blower tires.

The frame is Rustoleum "hammered" brown finish, but doesnt look 100% brown. This spray paint is real nice, because its glossy and sprays on like a watery type finish so if you need to go over and touch up, it just molds into the already existing paint. Regular spray paint, you may know already has an "overspray" when using gloss that leaves a flat look in certain places.

I mounted a disc brake up front using one from a mountain bike, works nice along with the rear brake. Before, I would go down hill and couldnt stop with rear brake only but now, with both I can stop in the middle of going down hill.

joekd

I mounted a disc brake up front using one from a mountain bike, works nice along with the rear brake. Before, I would go down hill and couldnt stop with rear brake only but now, with both I can stop in the middle of going down hill.
Any more info on this? Interested in how you mounted the disc and caliper to work with the OEM wheel/forks without any welding

Also note this is a Baja warrior frame, what use to be the bottom, is now the top, used for shock mount and seat rest. I cut the frame about the middle of the seat and when I cut the bottom off, I put those pieces up top because of the holes that used to be used for the rear wheel axle, Im now using for the upper shock mounts. I connected the frame pieces with a solid rod in the center and held together with set screws on both sides (or regular bolts with the heads cut off for a flush mount)

The bottom shock mounts are from a broken transmition jack where the wheels bolt, I cut off and bolted to square swing arm piece (tapped and threaded first).

Ratbike

I mounted a disc brake up front using one from a mountain bike, works nice along with the rear brake. Before, I would go down hill and couldnt stop with rear brake only but now, with both I can stop in the middle of going down hill.[/QUOTE]

I would like to see how that is mounted to the wheel and the fork as well....

The disc on the front wheel is also from the mountain bike. Later, when I hvae more time, Ill break it down with pics so you also can see how I bolted the disc to the wheel.

joekd

The disc on the front wheel is also from the mountain bike. Later, when I hvae more time, Ill break it down with pics so you also can see how I bolted the disc to the wheel.
I think what me and others are looking for is how did you mount the disc and the caliper, not actual part #'s

Modding Out,
Thanks,
I sold the original tires, I didnt like their traction. I bought snow blower tires, they are as wide but not as tall and they are more flat on top. The fenders to match these tires, I am getting eventually.

Heres more pics....

The metal bolted to the wheel can be a thin piece of pipe, with 3 or 4 notches to bend back and make tabs to mount disc to, then you bolt it to the wheel hub with screws or tapped and bolted with bolts just long enough to go through pipe and hub. Also a thick piece of pipe or plastic pipe with oppening that slides over the hub, then you can bolt it to the hub, then drill/bolt disc to the side of that piece you bolted to the hub.

The piece I used, I found in my scraps and dont know what it came from but already had 3 little tabs to mount the disc, then bolted piece to hub.

The disc "brake" that mounts to bracket that mounts to fork can sit inside the hub a little because of the smaller diameter disc.

I used a piece of angle aluminum to mount brake because easier to cut. If using aluminum instead of metal, use a thicker piece for more stability. The bracket bolted directlly to forks with holes drilled in forks only deep enough to except the bolts. You can drill a little less than 1/4 inch in forks by measuring on your drill bit and wrapping a piece of tape around bit to stop so you do not drill too deep.

You may have to grind/file the center hole on the disc so it slides over the hub.

Last edited:
Heres the piece off wheel hub that disc mounts to.

I had to cut a slot because it was too small to slide over hub, but cutting it didnt matter because its bolted to the hub. If you could find something that has an opening for the hub, is even better, but it has to be exact so when you mount it to wheel hub, it will be solid.

Ratbike

That's Aweome!!

Nice work!! That will work great as you have much better leverage with the small wheel/tire compared to the larger mountain bike wheel/tire!:hammer: