Bearkat Mfg. Twister

I have always wanted a twister, and thanks to Tim Wilson for selling me one this spring. Here are pictures of it in transit:

Here it is in Michigan:

It's not a 100% specimen, but that's fine. Someone cut the foot rests off...

I began disassembly, and it went fairly well, with the exception being the wheels.

The jackshaft sprockets are shot. The sprockets are welded on.

I also have the torque converter setup, not pictured though

Last edited:
The wheels needed a secret weapon....my father. My father has always been my go to man, being in the auto and machinist trades for nearly 50 years. I of course mucked things up a little bit trying to disassemble the wheels, but it was no problem for him. His whole demeanor, the finesse at which he works with his hands are inspiring to me and I always enjoy learning from him. Also pictured is my 2 year old son Grant. He poops a lot.

The rear axle was bent upon removal, and the old man turned one out at work. The bolts thread internally at each end, and are 9/16". A guy at my dads work got his hand on the appropriate tap and it was finished in good time. My dad also had the rear sprocket circle milled larger. The rear hubs were bolted on, and the entire rear sprocket assembly is welded to the rear wheel. What an engineering design! The rear axle and all hardware was then blued at my dads work. New bearings were bought also. Oh the perks!

My plan is to sand and paint the bike, and replace bearings and jackshaft sprockets. Unsure of a color, suggestions???

I'm glad you got one, I can't bring myself to sell mine and finally got a replacement engine for it so this spring it will live again soon. They are not fast but they have torque like nothing I've ridden before, uphill is like flat ground for a Twister and it will climb anything if you can hang on.

I managed to remove one suspended lower. Pulled right out after the bolts on each tube are removed. The other won't budge after I pull it half out. Like the top spring is snagged on the inside. Ideas???

Mine came out fine but I've had trouble with other bikes. Look for a pinch or dent in the frame because tolerances are tight and it doesn't take much to stick a spring, I know you had to be shocked to see how much spring was in there because I was. You'll get it eventually, PB blaster and a few hundred rotations more and you're there.