Big Block Drag Doodle Build

Just curious: did you guys sleave the tubing at the weld joints? What the wheel base on this--Axle to Axle? Looks cool:thumbsup:

OK, I promised an update, and I have one. First, I have to say that I thought I'd get alot further along, but cutting and welding a frame is almost as hard as building one from scratch, especially when you see after you start that the frame is bent.

Look at the slope in the top tubes. Those should be straight :doah:

In my last update, I mentioned I couldn't just do a simple 12" extension. The reason is because I wanted a motor plate that sat inside the tubing, instead of the stock style where the motor plate extends outside the frame. With the big block being so....well....big, it's a tight squeeze. To fit the motor inside the frame and not hanging over, it had to sit inside the straight portion of the frame (as opposed to the tapered front portion. The problem is the length of the big block plus TAV means I was having interference with my 14" tall rear tire, even after a 12" stretch.

I didn't want to stretch more than 12" total, but I needed the straight section of the frame to be longer before it tapers at the front. Without having a bender die for this size tubing, I had to get resourceful. I had cut the stock handlebars off of the stock fork for this bike because I'm running BMX style bars. So I had 2 good almost 90 degree bends to work with.

So after a bunch of cutting, welding, sanding (cleaning the powdercoat and paint off of my donor tubing), here's where I'm at now.

I have to put the motor plate and tensioner bracket on, do a bit of touch up to the front tubes where I cut the stock motor plate away, then it will be ready to start bolting together.

Dave this is JMHO but i would gusset the hell out of bough of those frames . I know the stock wasn't sleeved . But when you stretch it it will have greater loads on it . And with a big block more weight and power . Look at some of the drag frames around and see the extra tubing . Not trying to tell you what to do but don't want to see your frame break on the track . Good luck David

Yeah, I was going to add some diagonals to the frames. Jason went and got his painted before I thought of doing them on his. I'll add some on mine though.

I was thinking of running cross bars at the front and rear of the motor plate, and maybe diagonals from the top tube down to the front tubes kinda inline with the head tube.

Speaking of head tube, I'm thinking of adding a bunch of rake to the bike. I'm thinking of cutting the top tubes, removing say an inch or so, pull the head tube back and weld it up.

Don't I know it JD! Your bike is a big inspiration for me. That's my eventual goal. I just want to sneak up on it for money reasons, but to also learn about these bikes and how to tune them.

Here's one im doing for someone else...

Cylinder head for the same motor

All the parts i put in the head.....600 lift dual springs, 6mm Stem Ti valves, Ti Retainers, bronze intake seat, copper exhust seat..6mm stem bronze guides.

Custom Piston, Gas Ported...

Block is out now getting Decked for straightness, and O-ringed with a stainless .042 wire....Reciever groove will be put in head and a copper gasket used....

Last edited: